learn siemens

irondesk40

well, here it goes again in another circle.
Now being told by our new director that he wants everything to now be done with Siemens after we finish the projects we already have started.
Any good advice on and good documentation etc. like a Windows for Dummys type documentation.
About 6 years ago we purchased Siemens S7, but never used it and now nobody can locate the original software.
I am assuming the software is still S7 platform. I am suppose to meet with some Siemens sales folks in the next few weeks to purchase the software.
Also, we will have to start switching over to Siemens HMI units. Just finished learning the Control Technique (red lion) enough to finish a laminator project (thanks to post on here) because this same director wanted everything to go Emerson.
Any good documentation as if you had never even used a plc before would be helpful. Thanks

That sounds as if you will be at the mercy of the Siemens sales guy.

It just so happens that Siemens is at a major crossroads for both PLCs and HMIs.
Presently: S7-300 or S7-400, STEP7 v5 and WinCC Flexible 2008.
In the future: S7-1200 and S7-1500, and TIA Portal.

So which one to chose for you to use now and in the future ?
If you have a small project that can be handled by an S7-1200, I would think that S7-1200 and TIA is the way to go now.
If you have anything big, you should choose S7-300 and WinCC Flexible. IMHO the new TIA platform isnt ready for prime time yet.

That sounds as if you will be at the mercy of the Siemens sales guy.

It just so happens that Siemens is at a major crossroads for both PLCs and HMIs.
Presently: S7-300 or S7-400, STEP7 v5 and WinCC Flexible 2008.
In the future: S7-1200 and S7-1500, and TIA Portal.

So which one to chose for you to use now and in the future ?
If you have a small project that can be handled by an S7-1200, I would think that S7-1200 and TIA is the way to go now.
If you have anything big, you should choose S7-300 and WinCC Flexible. IMHO the new TIA platform isnt ready for prime time yet.
Actually, TIA Portal is the new platform moving forward for everything, inclusive of all Step 7 legacy systems.

Before you jump though, recognize that you appear to be in a somewhat unique position here; that of being able to choose an automation platform for your company's future. There is no substitue for a thorough evaluation. Ask for a meeting of "stakeholders" in your facility; those who will have to live with this decision and yet remain responsible for productivity. In that meeting, have everyone input what they feel they need from their automation platform. Cost can be a criteria, but should not be the only one. In the long run, ease of use, availability of training, mean time to repair, all backed up by good local support will provide greater long term cost of ownership benefits in the form of avoidance of lost revenue because of poor productivity. Once you have the criteria listed and prioritized, use that to evaluate potential automation platforms available to you.

So I think before making this decision, your director should first consider where he (and you) can get the best local support. That may be Siemens and maybe that is where the decision came from, but it may also be setting you all up for a struggle if there is no local Siemens industrial automation distributor near you. A common mistake often made in this regard is that people see Siemens on numerous line cards of local distributors, so they assume they will all provide support for Siemens automation. But unfortunately, 99% of "Siemens distributors" are in fact not allowed access to anything related to PLCs, HMIs, VFDs or software here in the US, because they are what is called "construction distributors" and only sell panelboards, load centers and maybe simple motor starters.

Having had worked for Siemens, I can attest to the fact that in the nearest Siemens sales office, no thought of this issue will be entertained, it is not their problem after all! They are only responsible for meeting their sales goals, and if they don't have a decent automation distributor near you, they cannot let that get in their way. So it will likely not be mentioned, or they will attempt to convince you that the distributor that is 200 miles away is going to be just fine. In my experience, those that decided that end up seriously regretting it.

thanks for replys. To be honest not sure exactly which platform yet. I think i will know that Friday. Our new director has seen some equipment that was purchased in one of our plants in Honduras and that is what he wants to start using from now on.
Of course, nobody could tell me what plc or hmi. Suppose to have a meeting Friday to find out.
For the last 5 to 6 years i have done everything with the Allen Bradley Micrologix plc's and it was due to fact that the main director of engineering at that time said, allen bradley or everyone get another job. Had done nothing but Omron for over 25 years until then.
Now, new director, all our production equipment and anyone we build from now on will be in Asia and Europe so he said Siemens.
Getting tough

I dunno what to tell you...:unsure:...Is he close to retirement?...:sick:
Enforcing a single platform is an (not quite wise :D!) end-user choice...I see it frequently done in "large pockets" business environments and there are plausible reasons: system familiarity, spares stock, software requirements and 24/7 available support.
However, I could think of plenty of other reasons (the first coming to my mind being professionalism and cost efficiency)to not restrict one's choices to a single automation platform, especially within OEM or "modern minded" operations.

I'm sure if Iron wants to get trained on Step7 and TIA Portal in the Carolina's - he can
I don't know where in NC he leaves but there's two Wesco offices there, one in Charlotte and one in Raleigh.
Both sell automation
There's also 3 Siemens application engineers that service that area

Actually, TIA Portal is the new platform moving forward for everything, inclusive of all Step 7 legacy systems.

Before you jump though, recognize that you appear to be in a somewhat unique position here; that of being able to choose an automation platform for your company's future. There is no substitue for a thorough evaluation. Ask for a meeting of "stakeholders" in your facility; those who will have to live with this decision and yet remain responsible for productivity. In that meeting, have everyone input what they feel they need from their automation platform. Cost can be a criteria, but should not be the only one. In the long run, ease of use, availability of training, mean time to repair, all backed up by good local support will provide greater long term cost of ownership benefits in the form of avoidance of lost revenue because of poor productivity. Once you have the criteria listed and prioritized, use that to evaluate potential automation platforms available to you.

So I think before making this decision, your director should first consider where he (and you) can get the best local support. That may be Siemens and maybe that is where the decision came from, but it may also be setting you all up for a struggle if there is no local Siemens industrial automation distributor near you. A common mistake often made in this regard is that people see Siemens on numerous line cards of local distributors, so they assume they will all provide support for Siemens automation. But unfortunately, 99% of "Siemens distributors" are in fact not allowed access to anything related to PLCs, HMIs, VFDs or software here in the US, because they are what is called "construction distributors" and only sell panelboards, load centers and maybe simple motor starters.

Having had worked for Siemens, I can attest to the fact that in the nearest Siemens sales office, no thought of this issue will be entertained, it is not their problem after all! They are only responsible for meeting their sales goals, and if they don't have a decent automation distributor near you, they cannot let that get in their way. So it will likely not be mentioned, or they will attempt to convince you that the distributor that is 200 miles away is going to be just fine. In my experience, those that decided that end up seriously regretting it.

oh wow, thanks, in a perfect world this might could happen, but here the director does not care what you really think. He goes to a trade show or talks to some machine manufacturer which is what has happened now and all they have to do is tell him Siemens is best and better supported and known all over the world. Trying to talk to him about it is a waste of time. Siemens it is, Siemens I will learn. Allen Bradley, OMron, Mitsubishi, Idec, Khunke plcs under my belt, get Siemens then out the door i will go.

Hello Irondesk;
Here are some excellent tutorials from Siemens for the S7-300 CPUs on Step 7 5.x (a.k.a. "classic modules") and the S7-1200 PLCs on TIA Portal (a.k.a. "TIA Portal modules"):
https://www.automation.siemens.com/...download_training_material/Pages/Default.aspx

You will have access to the modules through the links on the right side of the training webpage.
Each module has documentation in Word or pdf format, and code you can dowload to make you understand how configuration and programming are best handled for different tasks.
They should help you get familiar with the hardware and software you will work with, whatever platform is selected.

Hope thois helps,
Daniel Chartier