Upgrade parts

okiebob

I am trying to upgrade an existing PLC2 with Plasma display, keypad-numeric display (all 2700m series) to a PLC5. My problem is the Plasma and keypad/numeric display(s). I would like to incorp to a single unit if possible (DTAM + Op interface) or a full panel view setup how about some pros and cons to help kick me in line. I need at least a printer comm and Remote IO comm. :unsure:

For those of you playing at home, 2700 was a predecessor to A-B's RediPanel pushbutton stations that act as Remote I/O adapters. A 2700 series block-transfer module went into the PLC-2 backplane, and the pushbutton stations were daisy-chained off of that with their own serial network (not RIO).

Since the ladder logic in the PLC-2 already references block transfer data tables, you're right that a RIO device is the obvious replacement.

I'd choose a small RIO PanelView with a serial printer port (the new blue PV550's are cool; the 2711-B5A1 has RIO with RS-232 Printer Port) just because I find those easier to program. The DTAM software is so clunky at best, though I recently did get it to run on WinXP.

Thanks Ken

Thanks for the input, Ease of programming and use is ESSENTIAL for this rebuild. PLC2 to PLC5, Plasma display numeric kepad with display and a 32 button module over to a REDIPANEL 32 button and Panel View. Any other pros or cons are welcome and hoped for. How can I learn if I don't have both sides of the issue.