1784-pcmk

LECC

Hi !
I don't know much about PLCs....Being in charge of IT, I was asked to setup a bunch of laptops to use AB6200 with a 1784-PCMK/B card.

I was able to configure them under DOS 6.22 and WIN95 but now our standard OS is WIN2K (XP in a very near future).

RSLogic being to slow to troubleshoot our equipment.....

I've tried Virtual PC.....it doesn't handle PCMCIA socket services...

What should I do ??????

HELP ME ... PLEASE !

I would like them to upgrade to RSLogic.....but told me it's not fast enough to troubleshoot....i.e. when they rock a switch....with 6200 they see it with 0 delay.....RSlogig may take 1 or 2 sec....

Do I have to install the full software pkg to use RSLogic driver....

By the way....thanks for your help !

If you want to check an input, look at the LEDs on the input card. That's a heck of a lot faster than using RSLogix to troubleshoot inputs. Rslogix is fine for most AB PLC programmers. Tell your guys to get with it and use Logix.

If they're so in love with the 6200 software, let them keep their Win 95 computers. Since you're "in charge of IT", just declare that as far as IT is concerned, those laptops are no longer computers under the jurisdiction of the IT department. They're now 'PLC programmers'.

How to use RSLinx with 6200

In order to use the "RSLinx" driver in 6200, you must install the RSLinx package. When no activation (copy protection) is installed, then it defaults to "lite" mode, which is enough for programming connections.

I think you can get RSLinx together with the cut-down version of RSLogix500 for the smallest ML1000 controller.
Find it HERE (look in the upper right corner, at "Download RSLogix 500 starter package...").

In RSLinx select Configure Drivers, then select 1784-KT/KTX(D)/PKTX(D)/PCMK for DH+/DH-485 devices under Available Driver Types. Click Add New.. and Specify PCMK for Device Type when prompted.
If everything goes well, and you have a PCMK card inserted, then a RUNNING must appear under Configured devices .

In 6200 select the RSLinx port. When you use WHO, RSLinx will appear and you can browse to a PLC that you want to go online with. When clicking on the PLC, 6200 will reappear and you are online !

Another Option...

Since they're living in the dark ages, just buy them a 1747-PTI Hand Held Programmer and tell them to go away... :D
[attachment]
Looks nothing like a computer, so IT won't have to get involved with it!... ;)

beerchug

-Eric

hht.jpg

I agree with Alan, if they think 6200 is faster than RSL5 they are crazy...geez as an IT guy think about it. 6200 is dos software...ie 8 bit (ie 286/386 etc) where RS5 can run on WIN2K/XP (32 bits) on a 2.x ghz computer.

What can update the fastest regardless of communication option? You can not use dos and compete with windows on any level when it comes to speed...even using the same computer.

Remember the T50 Programmer

I read this post and at first I was thinking of the programming efficiency that RSLinx and RSLogix has over the AB6200 software. The thing I was always amazed at though was the real time response of the ladder displayed on the AB6200 screen. When running sortation equipment I track parcels through the system using BSL instructions and I can observe the groups of Ones flow through the integer files in the AB6200 software. Even using an old T50 programmer or an old DOS based PC. When someone runs their fingers in front of a photoeye you can count each finger. I love all the features that RSLinx and RSLogix have brought about and the ability to reference other windows programs, BUT I will always miss the real time response that the AB6200 software provided with the I/O.

Thanx Dan

Re: Remember the T50 Programmer

Danocane said:
I read this post and at first I was thinking of the programming efficiency that RSLinx and RSLogix has over the AB6200 software. The thing I was always amazed at though was the real time response of the ladder displayed on the AB6200 screen. When running sortation equipment I track parcels through the system using BSL instructions and I can observe the groups of Ones flow through the integer files in the AB6200 software. Even using an old T50 programmer or an old DOS based PC. When someone runs their fingers in front of a photoeye you can count each finger. I love all the features that RSLinx and RSLogix have brought about and the ability to reference other windows programs, BUT I will always miss the real time response that the AB6200 software provided with the I/O.

Thanx Dan

Amen, RSLogix is about as slow as a fat boy on a bicycle. I still haven't "fell in love" with the RS stuff and would take the 6200 any day.

LECC, dual boot your PC's if the guys still want 6200.

Or check out VmWare (Workstation):

http://www.vmware.com

But be warned, PCMCIA is a bit dodgy:

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws2/ts/peripherals_ts_ws_linux.html

John

I have to add to my previous posting, that running 6200 via RSLinx is definitely A LOT slower than running 6200 with its "native" drivers.

When I did it last, it was on Win NT and 256 MB RAM.
I think that running it on a modern PC can possibly be faster than when I did it. But I have no idea if it will be anywhere nearly as fast as 6200 with native drivers.

Imagine the clamor if A-B programming software was still DOS-based, no matter how fast it's I/O updates are ?

RSLogix gives you multiple windows of logic, data, and status and a relaxed-mode editor that's copy-and-paste compatible with other Windows programs. That's part of the speed slowdown; RSLogix has to update Status, data, and ladder windows (remember that 6200 only shows a few rungs at a time; RSLogix can show quite a few more).

I meet two sorts of 6200 enthusiasts; those who haven't paid support for more than 10 years (I really enjoy those "customers") and those who have difficulty navigating in Windows with a mouse.

LECC, try to get your PC's to dual-boot and see if you can get the PC Card services to run under DOS. Then try the harder task of pulling your maintenance technicians kicking and screaming out of the 80's.