Hmi Please Help!!!!!

lab

Hi,
I would like to learn to program MMI and HMI, I have had a little experience in programming plc mainly AB Micrologix.I have no idea how to start something like this, could someone PLEASE point in the right direction,if someone could recommend a book? Or send me a small sample program? just so I can get the jist of what is supposed to happen inorder to get the display to do what you want. :(
Thanxs in advance
Lab

There's a free demo version of RSView available. IIRC, it's full-featured but only runs one hour at a time.

I was wondering more of how you structure your plc program?
what bits do you assign?

program as ther is no HMI

Lab
in the application i use HMI i usually progrm my PLC as ther is no HMI then after i finish the program i start to list the varaiable need to be monitored ,modified or looged and then i star to build the screens in my HMI, i alawys try to disgn a welcome screen,and the main screen to appear exactly as the real process ,setting screens also required for the user defined variables and ofcourse the alarm screens and massaging.
This a general idea for what i am doing may be it could help you.

For a simple understanding of HMIs, they operate in a similar way to a push button panel. The main difference is that the HMI usually writes to the internal PLC bits, not the I/O.

For example, lets take a Siemens S7-300 with a Quick Panel Jr HMI (I am working on one of these systems now).

The S7 uses the following range of bits:
Inputs = I range, eg I0.0, I1.2 etc.
Outputs = Q range, eg Q4.3, Q3.3.
Memory = M range, eg M0.0, M254.7 etc.

If you were to hard wire a push button starter for a motor, you could wire I0.0 to the start button, and I0.1 to the stop button.
If you want to replace the hard wired buttons with the HMI panel, you would use the HMI software to draw two buttons on the screen, label one 'START' and one 'STOP', colour one green and one red, then assign the buttons with the momory bits M0.0 for the start button, and M0.1 for the stop button. You would then program your PLC code with the "M" bits replacing the "I" bits.
There is a bit more to it than that, and generally each type of HMI handles things a bit differently. Your best bet is to get access to one and play with it.

Doug

I have accsess to a ab micrologix plc and aromat gt-30 panel, I have so far been able to wire them together, but I'm tring to figure out how to label those buttons and am also wondering why I'm getting a communication error when I"ve set both the plc and hmi to the same baud rates and parity ect.
so when you make up a button you have to assign it address which corresponds to a similar address in the plc, is it a special address? or can it be just a memory bit?

lab said:
I was wondering more of how you structure your plc program?
As Hesham says, program as if there is no HMI. Keep in mind too that the one doing the logic and the one doing the HMI may not necessarily be the same person.

lab said:
so when you make up a button you have to assign it address which corresponds to a similar address in the plc, is it a special address? or can it be just a memory bit?
It depends. Not all HMI software will access all processor data types. For instance, LookoutDirect has no knowledge of the A-B string data type. You need to read the manual for your HMI to find out what and how it accesses in the target PLC.

lab,
I think that you know what a HMI is in general terms. No need to explain that.
As to HOW an HMI is configured/programmed, the best approach for you is to get one of the HMI packages that are free, or has a usable demo mode, and then just start working with it. If there is something that is blocking you after that, then come back to this forum with a specific question about it.

Try to search for a "Free HMI".
In THIS thread there is mention of a free HMI package (dont know if it will connect to AB).
You could also ask Rockwell if there are demo versions of PanelBuilder32 or RSView Studio.

edit: Oh and for your THIRD post:
For the Comm error, does the Aromat panel support the DF1 protocol ? And what port does it have (pinout).
Dont know the Aromat configuring software, but I would guess that when you setup tags, it will allow you to select the available types that the Micrologix supports (it ought to be something like B3:123 or N7:10/0 for a single bit).

Last edited:
May be you can try unitronic plc

Dear lab,(not advertise ..sorry)
I just used plc Unitronic to control 16 outputs
with realtime fungtion ..you can make output to work every Sunday, or Which date or month do you prefer quickly. (new plc for me too). This plc quite nice
made easy ladder from complicate circuit
May be you can find more information from this plc ..
Some model include touchscreen ,HMI,Analog,display,...
and the price is quite cheap.

set time02.jpg

Last edited: