Samkoon to automation direct DL205

f16bmathis

I have a touchscreen I want to have communicate with a PLC. I've built a can crusher using an automation direct PLC and I've got a Samkoon touchscreen that I've programmed some buttons on. But I can't seem to find how you would have a touchscreen talk to a PLC.

Does the touchscreen send the memory data to the PLC or does the PLC read the touchscreens memory? And how to get them to talk to each other? The Samkoon touchscreen has write addresses that can start as LBXXX, LWXXX, and RWIXXX. The manual does not explain what each does or how to get it to communicate with a PLC.

At work, I can se a panelview 600's output going to an Allen Bradley PLC and when you touch the screen button, it enters a value in location N7:0/0, so with my Automation Direct DL205, I can set up the same type of logic, but how is it sent to the PLC from the touchscreen? There seems to be a void of information on the internet of how to do this, or I can't find the proper search string!

Any help, ideas? Thanks

Can you specify exactly which model you have? And can you provide a link to a manual?

In order to connect to the DL 205 the display/software would have to have a protocol available which is compatible with the DL 205. Modbus might be an expected protocol.

In that manual the Koyo commuunication information begins on page 291 (despite what the table of contents says). They are using their own nomenclature ('I' and 'O' instead of 'X' and 'Y') but there should be enough to go on.

Can you specify exactly which model you have? And can you provide a link to a manual?

In order to connect to the DL 205 the display/software would have to have a protocol available which is compatible with the DL 205. Modbus might be an expected protocol.

The touchscreen is a Samkoon SA-3.5, I also have a SA-5.7, both work the same, and I use SAMDRAW 3.3 to program them.

Here's the link for the SAMDRAW 3.3 http://www.samkoon.com.cn/channel/15064027

The PLC is either a Automation Direct Logic 205 or a Direct Logic 05 (DO-O5DR) http://www.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/d0user/d0uservol1.pdf

I am not familiar with "protocols" other than maybe a comm protocol, and never heard of MOBUS.

The touchscreen has 9 pin dinns for comms, and the PLC has a telephone style jack comm 1 and comm 2

Does the touchscreen send the memory data to the PLC or does the PLC read the touchscreens memory? And how to get them to talk to each other? The Samkoon touchscreen has write addresses that can start as LBXXX, LWXXX, and RWIXXX.
Any help, ideas? Thanks

The touchscreen reads and writes to PLC memory. Communicate on Com 1. LBxxx is Local Bit, LWxxx is Local Word. These are internal addresses in the HMI. You need external addresses.

1) When you set up a new screen, the second box is New Link. Choose the PLC on this page. I tried Koyo, but got addresses that are for a GE CCM module. Think it's a bug. Try MODBUS. I used a SA3.5 with a Click using Modbus. Use the Click manual for info on Modbus.

The touchscreen reads and writes to PLC memory. Communicate on Com 1. LBxxx is Local Bit, LWxxx is Local Word. These are internal addresses in the HMI. You need external addresses.

1) When you set up a new screen, the second box is New Link. Choose the PLC on this page. I tried Koyo, but got addresses that are for a GE CCM module. Think it's a bug. Try MODBUS. I used a SA3.5 with a Click using Modbus. Use the Click manual for info on Modbus.

This is what I'm looking for! Thanks!

Mobus RTU Master? Then when I set up the PLC, What would I set as the location that the touch screen sends the data to? The options for the memory locations do not look anything like N7:0/0 or B3:0, I get LB, LW and RWI as addresses, but I believe these are INTERNAL touchscreen addresses. How would I send the data to the PLC? This won't be simple will it?

Last edited:
Master or Slave. Don't remember.
Send to com 1.
This will be VERY simple!!!
Go to Screen 1. Grab a Bit Lamp. Next to "Monitor Address", click the keyboard symbol. Change the drop down from "Internal Storage Area" to "Com1". You'll see the address choices change.
I made my own cable.

I had to change com 2 as Samkoon, null pc, and comm 1 to MODBUS, master. Now I can use PLC CONTROL and get addresses 0X, 1X, 3X... which I don't recognize as PLC addresses... The trick here would be???

Sorry I'm too new to figure it out myself!

Master or Slave. Don't remember.
Send to com 1.
This will be VERY simple!!!
Go to Screen 1. Grab a Bit Lamp. Next to "Monitor Address", click the keyboard symbol. Change the drop down from "Internal Storage Area" to "Com1". You'll see the address choices change.
I made my own cable.

I see the cable I use to program the PLC works as the comm cable, DUH on my part!

Did have to send to comm 1, and switch TS comms to comm 2

Just went to screen 1, properties of bit button, and I selected comm 1 and got addresses of 0X, 1X, 3X, ect... How would this be written at the PLC?

P.S. you have been very insightful, thanks so much!