Samkoon to automation direct DL205

0x, 1x are PLC addresses when you use Modbus.
Don't try to study Modbus on the Internet. Too much stuff. Stick with manuals from AD.
You don't have to do anything else. Connect an HMI to a PLC, and they start talking.

Don't try to study Modbus on the Internet. Too much stuff. Stick with manuals from AD.
You don't have to do anything else. Connect an HMI to a PLC, and they start talking.

I viewed a panelview 600 program last night at work and saw how it configured the panelview as node 0 and the PLC as node 1, then the panelview button was given a tag StartPB which then was configured in edit tags to be sent to node 1 (the PLC) and was given the address N7:0/0. So thats how its done!

Modbus seems to work, so thats all I need to know for now.

Or so I thought, with Modbus, I still cannot enter an address like N7:0/0, but thats OK cause the Direct Logic 05 doesn't have addrersses like that or like the Modbus 0x, 1x... either. Actually, I can't find how the DL series accesses memory like an Allen Bradley N7:O or B3:0

According to the Modbus standard, addresses are simply integers from 0 to 65,535 with the different address ranges being referred to as coils, holding registers, etc. However, some vendors will document their hardware using numerical prefixes which are not actually part of the Modbus address. This originated from some models of PLCs which used the Modbus communications protocol, and which also used numerical prefixes in their internal data table. This is similar to using "I", "Q", "V", etc. as address prefixes in IEC type PLCs.
However, it is important to remember that these numerical prefixes are documentation methods and are not part of what the Modbus protocol itself sends as part of the messages. A difference in documentation methods does not affect the compatibility of the protocol itself.
These prefixes are they mentioned anywhere in the Modbus standard, but the following shows how they are typically used in documentation based on this older convention:

• 0xxxx - Coils.
  • 1xxxx - Discrete inputs.
  • 3xxxx - Input registers.
  • 4xxxx - Holding registers.
Note that there is no 2xxxx address prefix.
http://mblogic.sourceforge.net/mbapps/ModbusBasics-en.html

I am not familiar with AD PLCs at all so I hope someone may advise how the Modbus addresses should map to the AD addresses.

http://mblogic.sourceforge.net/mbapps/ModbusBasics-en.html

I am not familiar with AD PLCs at all so I hope someone may advise how the Modbus addresses should map to the AD addresses.

Yeah, I've tried several different inputs like Ox 1, Ox 111, and several other combinations of numbers and whatever else it'll let me input. Best I had was using the AB comms and was able to input N7:0/0, but of course the DL PLC wouldn't be able to use it. I read through the Direct Logic manual, and don't see where they have any memory locations to use such as B3 or N7...or 0x, 1x...

Last edited:
Yeah, I've tried several different inputs like Ox 1, Ox 111, and several other combinations of numbers and whatever else it'll let me input. Best I had was using the AB comms and was able to input N7:0/0, but of course the DL PLC wouldn't be able to use it.
Just forget about the AB addressing scheme, OK? :) It is peculiar only to AB PLCs (well, not even to all of them); other brands have different structures entirely.

Look at the Excel file provided by cjh above. If you need to address AD's internal memry address V0, your HMI application should refer to Modbus address 40001; for V100 it will be 40101 and so on (that is what Modbus calls "holding registers", i.e. internal memory.

If you need to access AD's global input GX0, your HMI app should call Modbus address 10001 and so on. I personally prefer not to have my HMI applications to read/write the PLC I/O memory and to deal only with internal registers, but it is up to you.

your HMI application should refer to Modbus address 40001; for V100 it will be 40101 and so on

Well, unfortunately, it's not quite that easy but the general concept is correct.

DirectLogic memory addressing is in Octal format and the Modicon style Modbus addressing is in Decimal format so a conversion is necessary. 40101 actually lines up with V144.
If you enter the addresses in the spreadsheet, the macro function will calculate it for you.

Just forget about the AB addressing scheme, OK? :) It is peculiar only to AB PLCs (well, not even to all of them); other brands have different structures entirely.

Look at the Excel file provided by cjh above. If you need to address AD's internal memry address V0, your HMI application should refer to Modbus address 40001; for V100 it will be 40101 and so on (that is what Modbus calls "holding registers", i.e. internal memory.

If you need to access AD's global input GX0, your HMI app should call Modbus address 10001 and so on. I personally prefer not to have my HMI applications to read/write the PLC I/O memory and to deal only with internal registers, but it is up to you.

I'd love to ignore it, and when it comes to entering a write location, using Modbus, on the Samkoon touchscreen, you HAVE to ignore it, because it won't allow you to enter your own address. It has a drop down that gives you the option of 0x, 1x, 3x, and some other options like that, then an entry box next to the drop down that allows you to enter 0-9 and A-f, a: and a / and that's it. But it won't accept anything I enter into it, except when I loaded the AB drivers and entered N7:0/0 and such it would allow it, but of course the Automation Direct PLC has no idea what to do with that.

The chart looks like I can enter a location of 10001, but the entry requires something like 0x10001, but wont accept that either.

Didn't think this would be easy! But that's half the fun.

The 0x, 1x does the prefixes for you. It's been a while, but I think 0x001 will turn on Y1. 1x001 will look at input 1.
4x001 will be V001. Try that.

Correction:
Input X1 - Choose 1x and enter 2049.
Output Y1 - Choose 0x and enter 2049.
V Memory - Choose 4x and enter 001.

The first address in the 205 series is X0 or Y0. The Modbus address is 2048. See the chart in chapter 4 of the DL205 Users Manual on page 4-36.

Last edited:
Correction:
Input X1 - Choose 1x and enter 2049.
Output Y1 - Choose 0x and enter 2049.
V Memory - Choose 4x and enter 001.

The first address in the 205 series is X0 or Y0. The Modbus address is 2048. See the chart in chapter 4 of the DL205 Users Manual on page 4-36.

Thanks, tried this and now the DL205 will show a RX1 for a moment as I push the HMI bit button on, or the other I configured for off. The output does not turn on or off though. Getting closer! I'll read pg 4-36 and see if that clues me in.

Thanks!

PLC port needs to be configured for Modbus. I saw one that was autoconfig, but that may have been a DL06. DL06 is based on the 250. Check specs for your CPU.

PLC port needs to be configured for Modbus. I saw one that was autoconfig, but that may have been a DL06. DL06 is based on the 250. Check specs for your CPU.

I have port 1 talking to my computer and port 2 talking to the HMI. In PLC/setup/setup sec comm port I have port 2 connected with K-Sequence, DirectNet and Modbus, 9600, 1, odd, hex.

Should I uncheck DirectNet and K-Sequence?

Read the comm setup in the Dl05 manual. Says comm 2 must be configured fowith ladder logic, but seems to imply port 1 does not, so I swapped ports 1&2. Port 1 is to the HMI and port 2 is to my computer. Still port 2 works great, upload and download a simple input / output ladder but port 1 still will not do anything but flash once when pushing the HMI button.