Ethernet issues with KEPServer & PV+

CITCUP

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am presently designing an HMI interface using a Rockwell Allen Bradley PanelView+ 1000 "6". The target PLC is a Schneider Modicon Quantum, equipped with a NOE 771 11 NIC. It is the control for a steam turbine (ST). The communications protocol being used is Modbus/TCP, using KEPServer 5 drivers compiled into the .MER file for the PV+. The development computer, running FTView Studio, is situated on a dedicated LAN. The PLC is located on a secure LAN segment, protected by an mGuard firewall, through which the data is directed using 1:1 NAT. The HMI software runs well in the FTView Studio simulator, as well as FTView Station running on the same host as the FTView Studio. When the MER is copied to the HMI, it will not read the PLC.

The PLC is connected to a cascade of switches on the LAN side of the firewall, connected to one n-Tron 508 which is connected to another n-Tron 508. The HMI communicates fine when connected to any of the switches on the LAN segment that includes the PLC. I have set up numeric displays on the HMI that look at PLCs on both sides of the firewall, including othe Modicon Quantum and Momentum PLCs. All of these function save two- the Quantum in question and a PLC5, communicating in Ethernet/IP. Both the PLC5 and the Quantum controlling the ST are connected to the secon n-Tron 508. At one point I thought it may be a problem involving datagram TTL and the number of switches. However, the PV+ is also communicating with another PLC with the same number of hops.

So I have eliminated the firewall, driver compatibility, number of switch hops and basic hardware incompatibility as problems. I am presuming the wiring is okay, since FTView station and Studio communicate, using the same drivers and, in the case of Station, the same MER.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.