Issues with adding controllers via ethernet

squiggz

I am trying to add 2 controllers to each other via ethernet. One is to a conveyor system and the other to a skid that controls brite tanks and CIPs. They are both on the same subnet and I did it with 2 other ones yesterday. But these don't want to talk.

The conveyors use a 1756-L72 controller, that is connected via a EN2T switch. The other is a 1756-L83E. I've got the UDT up and the produced and consumed tags connected correctly, for both. I think I have the revisions correct...

I'm not sure what I need to do here.
The L72 error says Code 16#0117 - Connection Request Error: Invalid connection point.
The L83W error says Code 16#0315 - Connection Request Error: Invalid segment type.

I've attached pictures of both the "properties" for the modules.
Any suggestions on how to proceed? And let me know if any other information would be helpful.
Thanks.

Thank you for all of those details !

The most likely reason for those errors is that the Consumed Tag definition does not match the data types and element names of the Produced Tag.

That's what "Invalid Connection Point" generally means. An example would be if your controller is trying to Consume a tag called "CanLineInterlock", but in the Producing controller the closest name is "CanLine_Interlock".

This is especially tricky when the P/C tags are UDT type, or nested UDTs. I always export/import those UDT definitions so I minimized the chance of typos.

Another thing that can trip you up is that if you have more than one P/C Tag from the same controller, you will get an Error 0117 if any of them have connection point or data size problems.

I also noticed that in the module definition for the 1756-EN2T labeled "EN2T_Convy1.jpg" that the connection to the EN2T is configured for Rack Optimization. If you are connecting to discrete I/O in that rack, that's appropriate, but if the connection is only for P/C Tags the connection type should be configured for "None". That might be the source of the 0x0315 error.

Thanks Ken,

When I initially did tried this, I did export the UDT when from one and export it to the other, so that I wouldn't slip up and misname something.
Attached are pictures of the produced and consumed tags from both. The data types look to match.

I also referenced 3 other PLCs that are talking to the conveyor PLCs, through the EN2T, all of which have the EN2T configured for "Rack Optimization"...so I figured it would be the same here.

Convey_PRO_CON tags.jpg BBTSkid_PRO_CON tags.jpg

It appears that the tag names do not match. For example the consumed tag Canline_Cons is referencing InterlockfromCanline, but it appears that its produced name in the processor is Skid_Prod. Unless there is an alias, the consumer tags need to reference the exact name of the producer tag in the connection dialog.