Delete Allen Bradley license

Amy_Fields

Is it possible, if so how would I be able to permanently delete an allen bradley license off my computer without using evmovew? Is there a folder where it is located on the C drive and be deleted?

Thank you

Formatting the drive will do it :)

I believe that the licensing scheme you refer to is embedded outside of the filesystem, in the MBR perhaps. Rockwell warns against using sector optimization tools on the drive so that would reinforce this theory. So no, you can't just delete a file to remove it.
If it was FactoryTalk (groan..) you could, but not the older EVERSI technique.
Is there a reason you don't want to use evmove?

I'm tempted to ask why you would want to do such a thing – but if you're sure that's what you really want to do, then using the old DOS prompt method is probably the easiest way ...

the "Master Disk" method used a hidden file (EVRSI.SYS) which was usually (always?) located in the root directory of the hard disk ... you have to change the file's ATTRIBUTES in order to delete it ...

C: (makes sure that you're on the C: drive)

CD \ (makes sure that you're at the root directory)

ATTRIB EVRSI.SYS –S –H –R (sets the file's attributes for NOT SYSTEM, NOT HIDDEN, NOT READ-ONLY)

DEL EVRSI.SYS (deletes the file)

that should do it ... but I've simply GOT to ask: "Why?" ... the file is extremely small – and since it's hidden it's probably not causing any problem ... why not just leave it alone? ...

and for other readers who might want to use something along these lines to COPY the file and move it to another hard disk (either legally or illegally) – this won't work ... the original "Master Disk's" EVMOVE-type operations actually changed the internal contents of the file to "key" it to the receiving computer ... in simple terms, just putting a copy of a valid file onto another computer without using a functioning "Master Disk" will NOT give you a working copy ...

note to moderators ... personally I don't think that this post over-the-line in discussing "software copy protection" schemes – since it only involves DELETING a system – and specifically says that it will NOT work for nefarious purposes ... but please feel free to delete my post if you don't agree ...

DELETE_EVRSI.png

Last edited:
Did you accidentally delete the file?

For node locked, like my laptop. The .LIC file is located here;

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Rockwell\Activations

It was hosted to my hard drive, then that died and was replaced. Called the A-B rep with my info and within about 10 minutes was able to reactivate, this time on my network card. Yeah, they say don't tag the activation to your hard drive.

Oh yeah, that's 500. Everything else is on a USB HASP gizmo.

Last edited:
TheWaterboy said:
Formatting the drive will do it

I believe that the licensing scheme you refer to is embedded outside of the filesystem, in the MBR perhaps. Rockwell warns against using sector optimization tools on the drive so that would reinforce this theory. So no, you can't just delete a file to remove it...

TheWaterboy,

Be careful if you're not sure. I wouldn't be replying with such drastic solutions.

Ron,

The fact that RA openly provides that removal option, and others, suggests there are no copyright issues to worry about in posting that info.

Here is the full solution...59859...including the CMD option Ron has posted, the Windows Explorer option, and a link to the USB Flash Drive option.

padees,

The *.LIC files in the Activations folder are for newer FactoryTalk Activations. Amy is referring to an older licensing file as "evmovew" was mentioned.

G.

Last edited:
just to be sure we're talking about apples-to-apples here ...

since you mentioned "EVMOVEW" I thought that you were interested in deleting the old-style activation which used a "Master Disk" to handle the activation files ... if so, then what I wrote earlier should help ...

but ...

if you're interested in deleting a new-style "FactoryTalk" type activation then this screen shot might be helpful ... note that the FactoryTalk type activations aren't "hidden" and you can move them around at will ... if you can't find them on your hard disk, then you might try doing a Windows Search for LIC files ...

if none of this helps, give us some more detail about what you're trying to do and maybe we can help you nail it all down ... the more we know about your problem, then the more detailed we can make our answers ...

licfiles.PNG

Last edited:
thank you for that link, Geospark ... I've still got customers who use the old-style activations – so having this handy to pass on to them will probably come in handy some day ...

First off, thank you for all of the replies, I appreciate all of the great info. The reason I would like to delete the license is we had a coop student at my place of employment and he installed a couple of bogus licenses he downloaded online and I would like these removed. I have tried evmovew but I get multiple errors such as license is in use etc... I hace beed at this for days,I will try the DOS CMD method and post my results.

Thanks again guys!

well, we're still not sure whether you're trying to remove an "old-style" EVRSI.SYS type file – or a "new-style" .LIC type file ...

be ESPECIALLY careful if the "bogus" activation – AND your "good" activation – BOTH use the EVRSI.SYS format ...

because ...

in most cases, there will only be ONE file named EVRSI.SYS on your computer – and ALL of the activations will be stored in that ONE file ...

worse case, you might delete the "bogus" information, but in doing so, you might also wipe out your legitimate information too ...

more specifically, with the old system there was NOT one activation file for RSLogix500 – and a SEPARATE activation file for RSLogix5 (just as examples) ...

good luck with your project ...

Last edited: