Lock-Up or 'BRIC' issue with Rockwell 1769-L18erm-bb1b & Version20

Eoghan

Morning.
Usually program on ConytrolLogix hardware platform.
Bought a 1769-l18erm-bb1b unit to allow us test out concept here in lab- before installing in machine.
Got the new unit on Ethernet quickly enough with BootP. Powered off / on & confirm the IP address was statically saved.

Tried to download a Version 20 program & was rquested to upgrade unit's firmware from 1.3 to V20. Did this, toward the end of upgrade, I got a dll error (didn't screenshot unfortunately :-( ) and the RSLogix gave an error that it was not able to complete reboot.

Could not get hardware system to communicate so eventually I'd to power cycle PLC. Still could not get an communication over ethernet or usb.

Called Rockwell support. They were a little snotty and quickly told me L18ERM unit is in Bric and flash error. So throw it away and buy a new unit at MY cost!!!

Why???? It was their software and configuration tools that generated this issue!!

Very annoyed and dis-illusioned with this situation.
Anybody else had to deal with same hands-off & heavy handed attitude from Rockwell Support?

Is the unit really dead?

I am afraid it is...o_O
Since you went up from Rev. 1.3 (Boot Firmware) then the 5730 controller was brand new...Try contacting your local AB/RA distributor and see if there is any applicable warranty...
Updating controller firmware is always iffy...It shouldn't be but it is what it is...:unsure:... I always keep my fingers crossed and a spare at hand...and, if I have the time, I always try to do it Serially (RS232), or, in case of the new generation controllers, using the on-board USB port...
Have you tried to connect to the CPU via the USB port? You need just a generic USB1 cable and you might want to configure a Virtual Backplane (SoftLogix, USB) RSLinx driver if the controller will not "generate" one itself when connected to a running RSLinx utility.
If you are able to USB connect to the controller, you might be able to try ControlFlash-ing the firmware again; make sure you dowload the Firmware package freshly from RA website:
http://compatibility.rockwellautoma...oad.aspx?famID=4&Keyword=Controller&crumb=112
or obtain it from a trusted AB/RA distributor.

Thanks for tips. Have been onto supplier and they will send controller back to Rockwell for assessment.
Was never able to connect to L18 via USB port. Device never showed up on my RSLinx Classic Ver 2.59. Tried your suggestion of Softlogix,USB virtual backplane,BUT, am not getting option to configure the backplane.
See attached screenshot of error message.

Is there a Rockwell Knowledge base 'how to ' that explains connection configuration to USB port on L18

Virt_BackPlane_Problem.jpg

The Virtual Backplane RSLinx driver configuration is required when establishing communications to a SoftLogix controller.
CompactLogix 5730 and ControlLogix L7x controllers's USB interface will automatically connect to RSLinx by "pushing" the Virtual Backplane driver if not already configured...the prompt denotes that there is no Virtual Backplane/USB connectivity...
It was a long shot anyways...obviously, the controller became a "vegetable" without any available communications means...
Hopefully they'll come up with a positive resolution...RA is actually forcing their newly purchased hardware customers to update the firmware by selling "Boot Firmware" products which are unusable in off-the-shelf state...I've had distributors which immediately replaced new CPUs which "bricked" when Flashed with functional firmware...No questions asked and no extra-charges...

So reading this post has made me a little weary about flashing firmware. Is there a possibility that this could happen if using the USB or rs-232 meathod?

I have yet to "brick" a controller when Flashing firmware via DF1(Serial RS232)or Virtual Backplane (USB)...several times when using EtherNet/IP over an IT "managed" LAN though...:sick:...
Sometimes it takes hours, however, better "safe: than sorry...(y):D

I prefer to use USB if it's available. I've loaded firmware into many dozens of ControlLogix and CompactLogix and never "bricked" one.

Ethernet is my second choice, but I only use RS-232 if it's the only method available. The chances of having some sort of cable problem or power-saving feature on the computer are higher with RS-232 just because it takes so much longer than the other, faster methods.

So probably a good idea to shut off all screen saver and sleep functions of the PC being used for this before any actions are taken.

I had the same issue with a L18. I even got one replaced under warranty. Then It happened a again. I found out that my DC power supply was the issue. I replace the supply and never had a issue.
There is also a "reset" button by the mode switch. You can use a paper clip to push the button and cycle power. This is suppose to reset the processor to the factory default. Didn't work for me but the power supply did.

I prefer to use USB if it's available. I've loaded firmware into many dozens of ControlLogix and CompactLogix and never "bricked" one.

Ethernet is my second choice, but I only use RS-232 if it's the only method available. The chances of having some sort of cable problem or power-saving feature on the computer are higher with RS-232 just because it takes so much longer than the other, faster methods.
OK. I will use the USB connection in future.
Colleague has also endorsed using a direct ethernet cable from laptop with fixed (not connected to any LAN or wireless network)IP address directly to processor. I presume this is OK?

The Virtual Backplane RSLinx driver configuration is required when establishing communications to a SoftLogix controller.
CompactLogix 5730 and ControlLogix L7x controllers's USB interface will automatically connect to RSLinx by "pushing" the Virtual Backplane driver if not already configured...the prompt denotes that there is no Virtual Backplane/USB connectivity...
It was a long shot anyways...obviously, the controller became a "vegetable" without any available communications means...
Hopefully they'll come up with a positive resolution...RA is actually forcing their newly purchased hardware customers to update the firmware by selling "Boot Firmware" products which are unusable in off-the-shelf state...I've had distributors which immediately replaced new CPUs which "bricked" when Flashed with functional firmware...No questions asked and no extra-charges...
OK.
Lets see what Rockwell come back to me with.

I've commissioned a dozen of these processors this year without issue. After doing the first few over USB I solely use Ethernet now. I've only run into firmware issues when the flash is interrupted. To me, this makes Ethernet the obvious choice. All of my networks are machine level though. Locally, Ethernet is extremely fast and the collision detection built into Ethernet makes it both fast and reliable.

I would never try to flash over a corporate network or VPN. There is a lot more potential there for data collisions and corruption. Additionally, if you are flashing remotely you do not have control of the machine. There is no assurance someone won't power cycle the machine during the process.

I also don't like flashing via rs232. It just takes too long. During that time lightning can strike or, more likely, some bonehead trips over my laptop cable or even power cycles the machine on me.

Just my 2 cents.