Decompiler Error

Bob Mattos

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a client with an old SLC 5/01. RSLinx was only able to see it on an old PC with a 1784 PCMK card. I had to download the AI500 utility (AB500.exe) to even try to talk to it but with that I still get a decompiler error. I looked through old threads and it seems as though I should not have this error any longer, using the dos software. I have had numerous calls with RA tech support until I think they finally just gave up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

WP_000374.jpg

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1. Find a print-out or copy of program.
2. Replace SLC 5/01 with a newer version.
3. Move old program to new PLC.

Thanks for the reply. That was what I told them we would probably have to do. Luckily they do have a printed copy that hopefully, is close to being correct. I was just hoping one of you plc veterans had run into this and had a solution. Trying to save them a little money if possible.

If you have the program on an old floppy disk, you can import a fair number of the old file types into RSLogix, including:

ACH
SLC
RS1
SBF
and not least, 1B1, the AI program Backup files.

Then you can even open a new RSLogix file, and import the old databases into the new program. That includes the APS and AI program databases used in the old DOS programs. If you can import the addresses and I/O data, typing the rungs is not so bad, because you would have your address descriptions.

I wish we had anything other than the printout but the only known electronic copy is in the PLC and it's not talking. They have even tried contacting the people who built it and they no longer have anything.
That was how all this came about. We were working on some drives in the machine and while going through all the drawings and materials it came up that there was no backup for the plc. As old as it is, we advised them that they should have one and they agreed. So, we (way under)quoted as part of the drive project, just pulling the program out, in case of emergency. Now, we have many hours invested and still no program.

Have you tried the modern software and interfaces: RSLogix 500 and the 1747-UIC ? I've done uploads from Fixed 500's and SLC-5/01 and 5/02 controllers with the 1747-UIC.

You mentioned in your original post that "RSLinx was only able to see it on an old PC with a 1784-PCMK card". What other options did you attempt ?

Your screen shot shows a communications network timeout, not a decompiler error, so you might be describing two separate problems.

I tried the 1747-UIC, as well as every other AB cable that would connect to it. I spent hours trying every driver and every possible configuration I could but it never showed at all in the RSLinx. It wasn't until I borrowed an old laptop with a PCMK card from a engineer friend that I could even see it.

It may have been the screen before this one or the screen after that said "Decompiler Error". I didn't get a screen shot of it. This would happen when I tried to upload. I think it was communicating but it wouldn't let me in.

I'll have to find my notes to remember the exact order of things.

I wish we had anything other than the printout but the only known electronic copy is in the PLC and it's not talking. They have even tried contacting the people who built it and they no longer have anything.
That was how all this came about. We were working on some drives in the machine and while going through all the drawings and materials it came up that there was no backup for the plc. As old as it is, we advised them that they should have one and they agreed. So, we (way under)quoted as part of the drive project, just pulling the program out, in case of emergency. Now, we have many hours invested and still no program.
I would suggest you scan the old printout and print it to a pdf to save that much electronically.

P.S. Where in SC are you? Maybe I am close enough to help you.

I don't know if I'll scan it in. It's over 100 pages. Probably just make a couple copies if I have to rewrite it, then I'll have the new version electronic.

I'm in the upstate. Greenville-Spartanburg.

I guess I'm too far away as I am halfway between Charlotte and Wilmington NC, sorry.