Unrecognized Device ( Yellow Triangle) when integrating a SEW DFE33B in ControlLogix

Rob S.

Good Morning from a snowy Mid-Atlantic ,

I am in the process of integrating a SEW DFE33B into a ControLogix PLC (1756-ENBT ). Added a new module , generic device, etc. , but I get the yellow triangle ( unrecognized device). Have any of you folks run into this with a SEW DFE33B ? It sounds like it would have something to do with the EDS files .

Thanks so much in advance.

First of all, be sure that your sew drive IP address is correct, send a ping to the drive.
If that is correct are you sure your drive talk ethernet/ip, have you installed a comm module to the drive or the drives comes with EIP option from factory

I am using SEW MotionStudio via Ethernet , and I am able to ping it , and also able to start the drive , run the motor , and get feedback , etc.

What error information are you getting in the connections tab in RSL5K?
Does the generic instance data match how the drive is configured?

Where are you seeing the yellow triangle icon ? The yellow triangle icon means different things in different contexts.

In the RSLinx Classic network browse, it indicates that RSLinx doesn't recognize the device, usually because of the absence or mismatch of an EDS file.

In the RSLogix 5000 I/O tree, the yellow triangle usually means a connection problem. When the device is a Generic Ethernet Module, the problem is either an incorrectly selected Assembly Number, or an incorrect Assembly Size.

The EDS file is not required for the I/O connection to work. Because you can control the drive over the network, it sounds like the I/O connection is fine and you just have the nuisance of having an unrecognized device in RSLinx Classic.

Thanks for your responses. This is where I am at.....RS Linx / RS Who ? Unrecognized Device SEW - MOVIDRIVE - DFE33B ( Looks like this name is from the drive) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ lRS Logix 5000 -Flashing- I/O Not Responding l I/O Configuration 1756-ENBT/A ! and Triangle ETHERNET-MODULE------------------------------------------------------------------------I downloaded the EDS file from SEW and used the EDS Hardware Installation Tool and registered the file.Is there anything else I need to do with the EDS file?I imagine that if it recognizes it , it will populate the Controller Tag Table withrecognizable data , correct ?Thanks so much for your help.

From that description it sounds like both your EDS file and your Generic Ethernet Module configuration are incorrect. Upon re-reading your post, I see that you might have been saying that you can start/stop/control the drive using the SEW configuration software, not RSLogix 5000.

Let's figure out the EDS file first.

Right-click the icon for the SEW drive in RSLinx Classic and select Device Properties. Post those values (vendor/type/code/revision) here.

Open up the EDS file in a text editor and post the Identity Object portion of it here.

Next, post whatever you can from SEW about the configuration of the Generic Ethernet Object, as well as the corresponding configuration you've actually done in RSLogix 5000.

I imagine that if it recognizes it, it will populate the Controller Tag Table with recognizable data , correct ?

Unfortunately, no. The Generic Ethernet Module object is just a blob of data of SINT, INT, or DINT type. I've used it successfully with dozens of third-party devices, but it takes some effort.

RSLogix 5000 v20 and v21 do support a more sophisticated "EDS-based Add-On Profile" that is supposed to use the EDS file to create device-specific data tags with descriptive names and data types. In practice, I have not seen a third-party device that has implemented this feature successfully.

How do you have the DFE33B configured in RSL5K?
Are you following the DFE33 manual section 5.2 ?
What are the assembly instances and sizes that you have set?

Thanks Ken ,

Yes , I am able to move it in SEW Motion Studio.

Right-click the icon for the SEW drive in RSLinx Classic and select Device Properties. Post those values (vendor/type/code/revision) here.

* Device Name- SEW-MoviDrive- DFE33B
* Vender- 315
* Product Type - 101
* Product Code - 3
* Revision - 1.001
* Serial Number 6909B3A2
* EDS File Name 013B0065000301XXEDS

Open up the EDS file in a text editor and post the Identity Object portion of it here.

$ EZ-EDS Version 3.0 Generated Electronic Data Sheet
$ Electronic Data Sheet
$ SEW-EURODRIVE GmbH & Co KG
$ Gerät: MOVIDRIVE B DFE13B
[File]
DescText = "EDS-SEW-EURODRIVE DFE13B";
CreateDate = 05-09-2006;
CreateTime = 15:13:36;
ModDate = 05-08-2012;
ModTime = 11:22:44;
Revision = 1.5;
HomeURL = "www.sew.com";
[Device]
VendCode = 315;
VendName = "SEW-EURODRIVE GmbH & Co KG";
ProdType = 101;
ProdTypeStr = "";
$ EtherNet/IP Gerät Nr. 1
ProdCode = 1;
MajRev = 1;
MinRev = 1;
ProdName = "SEW-MOVIDRIVE-DFE13B";
Icon = "DFE13B.ico";
[Device Classification]
Class1 = EtherNetIP;
[ParamClass]
MaxInst = 5;
Descriptor = 0x0009;
CfgAssembly = 0;

Next, post whatever you can from SEW about the configuration of the Generic Ethernet Object, as well as the corresponding configuration you've actually done in RSLogix 5000

* RS Logix 5000 Module Properties
General
IP Address 192.168.100.86

Connection Parameters
Assembly Instance Size
Input 130 10
Output 120 10
Configuration 1 0

Connection
Requested Packet Interval 10.0

I'll correct one of my earlier comments about yellow warning icons.

In RSLinx Classic, a yellow question mark denotes a device for which RSLinx Classic doesn't have a properly registered EDS file.

In RSLogix 5000's I/O tree, a yellow triangle with an exclamation point denotes a device with a non-running I/O connection.

What's the difference in the SEW world between a DFE13 and a DFE33 ?

The EDS file is for a different "Product Code" than the actual drive you have connected.

* Device Name- SEW-MoviDrive- DFE33B
* Vendor- 315
* Product Type - 101
* Product Code - 3
* Revision - 1.001
* Serial Number 6909B3A2
* EDS File Name 013B0065000301XXEDS

[Device]
VendCode = 315;
VendName = "SEW-EURODRIVE GmbH & Co KG";
ProdType = 101;
ProdTypeStr = "";
ProdCode = 1;
MajRev = 1;
MinRev = 1;
ProdName = "SEW-MOVIDRIVE-DFE13B";

In the world of EDS files, similar devices with different voltage or amperage or other significant differences have different Product Codes because they will have small but important differences in some of their parameters.

Good Morning ,

Thanks for your help. I think I do have a EDS file conflict. I went to the SEW website and downloaded the correct EDS file. I went into my RS Logix 5000 application and deleted the Generic Device ( SEW DFE33B ), and re-entered it , hoping
that the correct EDS file , SEW-Gateway-DFE33B.EDS , gets loaded with it , but it looks like the same , DFE13B , is still being loaded with it. I see the same , DFE13B , under device properties in RS Linx.

What is the best way to delete the wrong EDS file, DFE13B ?

Thanks so much for your help.

Use the RSLinx Classic EDS Hardware Installation Tool -> Remove utility.
All Programs/Rockwell Software/RSLinx/Tools/EDS Hardware Installation Tool/Remove.
I'd reboot the PC after Removing of the original EDS and then use the same EDS Hardware Install tool for the registration of the proper file.

Thanks. I considered that , but when I selected "EDS Hardware Installation Tool/Remove" , this came up.......

" This action will remove device definitions. Without these
device definitions, select Rockwell Automation software will not funtion properly".

I am sure another window with options, opens up , but I didn't want to take the chance. Other options will open , correct ?