Sending Messages Via Ethernet

Hi all,

Is it possible to send messages through ethernet from one AB PLC to another AB PLC with a different domain? If so what is the best way? Example: 192.168.0.141 sending to 192.168.1.105

Yes, but it depends on what you are referring to as a domain. It appears that the address scheme you have are two difference devices on different networks. Domains are a reference to the DNS system that allows URLs in your web browser to work.

The network addressing scheme is determined by the subnet mask. For example, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, tells the device that the last octect is the device level address and the other 3 octets are the network level address. Think of it as 'go to this network' then 'go to this device'. This is entirely configurable based on the needs of the person setting up the network.

Many times after a network has matured it becomes a big deal to reconfigure the subnets on the entire network to open up more ip addresses. This is when a router is employed. A router will route messages from a device on one network to a device on another. This is where the network addresses come into play. The local router, called the gateway, can use the network address to look, 'route', through other routers and networks to find the network you are looking for then sends the message to that network's router. That last router then sends the message to the target device.

Obviously if this is a small network and you just have more than 256 devices reconfiguring the subnets would be a practical and cost effective option. If this is an enterprise level network set up by you IT department, you need to talk to them to ensure that they can route the device from one to another. If these devices are on other sides of the world they would have to add a VPN and some security. If these devices are in the same building they may even be connected to the same router and the gateways on the devices need to target the router and the router be configured.

LONG STORY SHORT:
Yes, but how you do it will depend on your network and how much time and effort you are willing to invest.

network

Yes these are on the same network through a gateway. I have set up a message from one to another with the same domain as it shows in the examples from AB. But when I attempted to set up another message I seen that it has a different domain and all though it doesn't error out for connection I do not recieve the message. It works with the with the same domain set up. I just want to make sure it is possible before I spend too much time trying to get something to work that won't. I receive the message with this example: 192.168.1.14 to 192.168.1.13 I do not receive the message from 192.168.1.14 to 192.168.0.13 I believe our network is set up with a gateway that has a subnet of 255.255.252.0 I don't see anything on the AB side that can set up a subnet for messaging. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The settings are there as they are required for tcp/ip protocol and just aaa out any other Ethernet protocol.

What controller and Ethernet adapter are you using?

The addresses that you are using are on the same network as defined by your subnet mask. The router shouldn't have to do any routing. I believe the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 by default, which will prevent the two from communicating.

If the Ethernet port is built into the controller the settings will be in the controller options and if it is a bridge module it will be available through the module settings in the io tree.