A question on I/O module

Karoly

In some modules (example click this link) the output terminals are grouped into two with a common for each group. What is the purpose of this? Is this for redundancy? Could any one suggest one sample application? Thanks in advance.:confused:

A few reasons:
1. If the outputs are relay type, multiple commons allow you to use different voltages.
2. Dropping the power to the output common is a usual way of providing machine safety. With multiple commons you can disable some outputs but not others.

Also, with two or more commons, you can use them for separate circuits, or easily add jumpers to make into 1 circuit with 1 common. If there were not multiple commons, how would you be able to easily split 1 common into multiple circuits?

Triac outputs (as well as relays) allow multiple circuits, because many triacs will work on a range of AC voltages.

Another intuition I have is two commons allow both sourcing and sinking devices to be connected to same module for DC I/O modules. Could anyone confirm?

Another intuition I have is two commons allow both sourcing and sinking devices to be connected to same module for DC I/O modules. Could anyone confirm?
This is true for relay outputs, but NOT necessarily for DC transistor outputs. Most transistor output modules that I've worked with have to be ordered as sinking or sourcing, which dictates whether positive or zero voltage is connected to the commons.

When it comes to DC input modules, most (not all) of them can be wired as sinking or sourcing--another reason where multiple commons can be a benefit.