PLC Backup

Bob Johnson

Does anyone know of a good solution for the backing up Schneider/Modicon PLCs? I need to automate the periodic backup of the ladder and symbol files of 400 PLCs on the plant floor.

What do you mean by backup

Bob
What do you mean by backup ?do you mean uploading the program from the PLC to your PC .or you need to backup the ladder from the ram area in the plc to the eprom area?

Bob,

We use Securworx to do automatic back ups of our Modicon PLC's. Unfortunately this software is no longer marketed or supported by Taylor.

A product I have looked at recently is Mass Autosave which look's very promising and has some very nice features for viewing changes, audit trails etc. Only disadvantage is that it is pretty pricey.

Their website is www.mdtsoft.com

Regards

Kevin,

Thx for the reply. Are you saying that SecureWorx is working for you but is Longer sold and supported?

How many PLC's are you backing up?
Any idea what the price was? I saw MDT MASS on the web but I can't find any pricing info. I am trying to get some budgetary pricing for a customer proposal.

Regards,

Hi Bob,
Yes I am running Securworx which is unfortunately no longer marketed. We have in the order of 70 Plc's all networked via Modbus Plus (All Modicon Compact,984 Family & Quantum). Access to all PLC's is via the Securworx server (Only commisioning is done with laptop) to allow for version control of the plc's program. This solves the problem of who has the latest version of the program and where it is located.The system also allows for scheduling of automatic back ups of the programs as well as tracking all changes and providing an audit trail.

Modicons Proworx32 offers the same functionality as listed above but is still only offered as version 1.0 and very buggy. They keep threatening to release an updated version but so far nothing has changed!

Mass Autosave is really a top of the range product and if the customer values the peace of mind regular backups and strict maintenance of version control will provide then I geuss the cost would be justifiable. Unfortunately I do not have a recent quote and would suggest contacting suppliers for one.

Regards,
Kevin