PLC HMI Communications

lbric

Hello,

i have a ml1100 connected to my pc via ethernet. i have a panel view plus 600 with a serial connection, can someone point me in the right direction on how i can make the plc and hmi communicate?

thanks
Ricardo L.

Communicate to each other or for your PC to communicate with each of them? Are they connected together in some way besides your PC?

to each other. my pc and plc communicate via AB_ETH1 in rslinx. i have an ethernet cable from plc to my router. the hmi is connected to plc via 1761-cbl-pm02 cable. first question being am i using the correct cable? second question being do i need to communicate with hmi via pc?

thanks,
Ricardo L.

First, let's get the physical cabling correct.

The PanelView Plus can use the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable to communicate with the MicroLogix 1100 controller over RS-232 only if you also add a "null modem adapter" to the DB9 end of the cable.

Otherwise you need a different cable, part number 2711-NC21 (5 meters).

To communicate between the PanelView Plus and your computer over RS-232, you need a straight-through RS-232 cable. Any cable that is connected straight through pin-to-pin and has DB9 F connectors on both ends will work.

Please post the exact part number and the firmware revision from the sticker on the back of the PanelView Plus 600. That will help folks know what features it has.

In general, if you have a controller and HMI that both have Ethernet, it's easiest to use Ethernet.

do i need to communicate with hmi via pc?

Please re-state your question.

I'm not sure if you are asking general questions about how FactoryTalk View Studio connects to the PV+ terminal, or if you're asking about Ethernet/DF1 Passthrough in RSLinx Enterprise.

Thanks Ken,

i looked up null modem adapter online at local radio shack can you let me know if this is the item i would need:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3964616

my hmi is 2711p-t6c5dx ser b firmware 5.10.00.09. this terminal only has the db9 connector no ethernet. that would have been much simpler.

I would like to setup the communication so i can download a program into the panelview. the serial-df1 settings on the panel view are blank and has no device listed. i have ftview studio program setup to this sized screen communications is setup to my plc. to this point i have only tested my programs with FTVS but would now like to test on an actual hmi. i hope this provides more info into what i want to acomplish.

thanks
Ricardo L.

hello again,

still having problems with what might be an easy problem. I wrote a small program and was able to load the mer file into the pvp600 via usb.

when I load the application and look at the network communications I see the ip address of my plc but I don't see any reference to the df-1 driver.

from the responses I got I tried using the 1761-cbl-pm02 cable with the null modem adapter connecting the ml1100 to the pvp and when I run the application I don't get communication. I tried using the cable with and without the null modem adapter.

I don't have the 2711-nc21 cable but I saw the datasheet pin diagram and using a spare 1761-cbl-pm02 I cut and wired it per the diagram. I tried using this cable with no positive results.

do I have to set up a driver in rslinx when trying to connect the pvp and ml1100 directly? my next attempt will be to get the straight through rs232 and see if I can establish a connection with my pc and pvp in rslinx and see if the loaded application responds. any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
lbric

Because the computer you're using to create the FactoryTalk View application is connected over Ethernet (using RSLinx Enterprise), when the Runtime file is created it only knows about that Ethernet route.

You need to go to the Communications window in FactoryTalk View Studio and configure a DF1 driver (DF1P2P), manually add the MicroLogix 1100 as a target, and associate it with the Shortcut.

A handful of points:

Be sure you're doing this in the Runtime(Target) tab, not in the Design(Local) tab.

When you create the DF1P2P driver, set it for COM1. That's the serial port designation on the PV+600 itself.

In the DF1P2P driver, set the Device Type to SLC/MicroLogix.

In the DF1P2P driver properties "Link" tab, be sure to set the Error Checking for CRC mode.

When you manually add the MicroLogix to the driver tree, it's under the "PCCC DH485 Devices" folder.

And lastly, when you run the *.MER file on the terminal, be sure to select the radiobutton that makes it Replace Communication Settings. That's what will set up and configure the serial driver on the terminal.

PVPlus_DF1_1763.png

Hello Ken,

i tried setting up the DF1P2P driver in FactoryTalk View Studio but running into a problem. after adding the driver and selecting ok from the properties screen to complete the process i get an error message that com1 is in use by another program, do you know why this might be? it shouldt be a conflict between my pc ports since the ports in question are of the pvp and ml1100 correct? i tried com1-4 all the same results. do i need to have the pvp connected to setup the driver? i am leaning towards no at this moment.

thanks,
lbric

You're correct; RSLinx Enterprise wants control of the serial port, and something else is using it (probably RSLinx Classic).

You should still be able to create the driver in RSLinx Enterprise on the Target/Runtime tab, and download the *.MER onto the terminal.

Once the application (and its communications configuration) are on the PanelView Plus terminal, the driver will have that one serial port on the terminal all to itself, and will run correctly.