PLC 5 SFC stuck at dead end on live machine

mosheen

Hello,

I have a SFC that was forced into a dead end. My problem is I don't know how to force it back up to the top of that branch. The SFC is 4 parallel runs and the other three must stay in their current position or it's going to get ugly because they each drive their own SFC.

Is my presumption true that I can't make SFC edits on a live processor? I could edit a SFR into the stuck rung, but I've never used that command and it appears to me that that will reset everything to one position.
Could I go offline, move my logic and download. Is the SFC position saved?

Excuse my confusion, but I've just been called in and I've got mush for brains right now.

(and who programs this stuff like this??)

Here's the SFC:
hz2YhJG.png

Is my presumption true that I can't make SFC edits on a live processor?
Yes, the processor must be in program mode to edit/download changes to the SFC.
I could edit a SFR into the stuck rung, but I've never used that command and it appears to me that that will reset everything to one position.
Yes, the entire SFC will be reset. For the PLC-5 IIRC you can select which SFC is reset and depending on processor model you can determine to which step the SFC is reset. On models which don't provide this feature, the default is to reset to step 1. Also, the SFR is programmed outside the SFC on its own rung. It's not part of the SFC structure.
Could I go offline, move my logic and download. Is the SFC position saved?
I'm pretty sure a transition to RUN will restart SFCs to step 1. There's a decent writeup on SFC programming in the help section.
Where is the logic stuck? The way the SFC is constructed it doesn't look like that should happen.
(and who programs this stuff like this??)
Lots of stuff is programmed like this, it's just done with ladder instead - which makes it:
  • more amenable to on-the-fly changes.
  • harder to see at a glance where in the sequence the logic is at a given moment.
Other forum members are more knowledgeable about this, I'm sure after some coffee they'll have a look and add some helpful comments.