PLC-5/15 SFC's are retarded

Mad_Poet

Dear Sirs,
I have no doubt, they only seem retarded because I lack understanding of them. I'm having a good time building up circuits and using timers and relays to build things like latching circuits and cascading timers to make my output lights 'walk' sequentially.

(I need to get into the tutorial, and learn about 'MOV' instructions and doing arithmetic.)

Anyway, I have another tutorial about making and using SFC's. So I built one, and started putting logic in the ladders.

In ladder 3 I put a rung with I:0/2 turning on relay B3:0/0. On the next rung I put relay contacts B3:0/0 turning on output O:3/7. That part worked good.

In ladder 5 I tried putting in a rung taking relay contacts B3:0/0 and using them to turn on O:3/17. Did not work.

Back to the tutorial where, in the example, they used a (L) (latch) type relay to lock in the relay so I can use the contacts in a different rung . . . then a (U) type relay someplace else to unlatch it. I make that work OK.

A thing that is puzzling me, often my latched output looks solid, but while monitoring the program in RSLogix5, I will see the output relay 'green' blinking on and off. Is that something to do with the scan time and the laptop monitoring program, or does that mean my output is actually blinking on and off? (Usually the relay is in one ladder, and the contacts I'm using for the output is in a different ladder.)

Mad Poet.

I have no doubt, they only seem retarded because I lack understanding of them.
They're not as retarded as SQO/SQI.

(I need to get into the tutorial, and learn about 'MOV' instructions and doing arithmetic.)
Definitely. The MOV instruction is ubiquitous and powerful so it's important to know its operation.

A thing that is puzzling me, often my latched output looks solid, but while monitoring the program in RSLogix5, I will see the output relay 'green' blinking on and off. Is that something to do with the scan time and the laptop monitoring program, or does that mean my output is actually blinking on and off? (Usually the relay is in one ladder, and the contacts I'm using for the output is in a different ladder.)
Once a bit is latched you should see it 'ON' steadily anywhere else in the program. UNLESS :oops: other logic you haven't accounted for is manipulating it.

Thankfully I am in the lucky position that I only develop and use new kit and never have to visit site to fault find on old stuff. I count my blessings daily (Mon to Fri that is)