Micrologix 1100 Communication Problem.

amenyo

I'm trying to establish communication with Micrologix 1100, 1763L16BBB, processor with Windows 8.1 64 bit laptop without any success. I have read almost all the threads about this topic on this forum and have followed all known solutions with no luck. Are there any known compatibility issues with Windows 8 OS or I'm just not doing something right. Thanks for any information/advise.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that, I'm using RsLinx Classic Lite version 2.57 CPR 9 SR3 and RsLogix Micro English version 8.3 Thanks

Are you trying to communicate over Ethernet? Is this a brand new processor, or is it one that has been setup and working?

Tell me as much about how you are trying to communicate with it. Hardware, cables, configuration, etc.

2.57 is not officially supported in Windows 8, although it may work...

Are you trying to communicate over Ethernet? Is this a brand new processor, or is it one that has been setup and working?

Tell me as much about how you are trying to communicate with it. Hardware, cables, configuration, etc.

2.57 is not officially supported in Windows 8, although it may work...

Both Ethernet and Serial. None of then is working. This is a used processor I bought on Ebay. I'm using serial cable, 1761-CBL-PM02, with usb to serial connector and ordinary straight through Ethernet cables. I have used BOOTP/DHCP server version 2.3 with RS-232 DF1 driver and EtherNet/IP and Ethernet Device drivers all to no avail. Thanks.

The MicroLogix 1100 will show you the IP address using the keypad/LCD, but it won't let you configure them.

See the "Using the LCD" section in the 1763-UM001 User Manual to see how to navigate the LCD screen to the Advanced Settings section, where you can see the IP address (or the DHCP/BOOTP settings).

If there is no IP address assigned, the Advanced Settings will show the MAC ID only. If there is an IP address assigned, it will show both the MAC ID and the IP Address.

You can verify IP connectivity using PING or by using HTTP. Type the IP address of the controller into a web browser and you should see the diagnostic web pages.

I don't think any versions of RSLinx Classic are supported in Windows 8, but version 2.57 predates Windows 7. See if you can download version 3.6, as RSLinx Classic Lite is always available free of charge from the main RA software download site.

On the serial port, you can use the DCOMM button to force the port to the default settings.

If you're comfortable with using a serial terminal like RealTerm, you could send the hex bytes "10 05" to the serial port at 19200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, and you should get the MicroLogix port to echo "10 05" back to you. That will at least verify that the serial port on the controller, the serial cable, and your USB/RS232 converter are functional.

The MicroLogix 1100 will show you the IP address using the keypad/LCD, but it won't let you configure them.

See the "Using the LCD" section in the 1763-UM001 User Manual to see how to navigate the LCD screen to the Advanced Settings section, where you can see the IP address (or the DHCP/BOOTP settings).

If there is no IP address assigned, the Advanced Settings will show the MAC ID only. If there is an IP address assigned, it will show both the MAC ID and the IP Address.

You can verify IP connectivity using PING or by using HTTP. Type the IP address of the controller into a web browser and you should see the diagnostic web pages.

I don't think any versions of RSLinx Classic are supported in Windows 8, but version 2.57 predates Windows 7. See if you can download version 3.6, as RSLinx Classic Lite is always available free of charge from the main RA software download site.

On the serial port, you can use the DCOMM button to force the port to the default settings.

If you're comfortable with using a serial terminal like RealTerm, you could send the hex bytes "10 05" to the serial port at 19200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, and you should get the MicroLogix port to echo "10 05" back to you. That will at least verify that the serial port on the controller, the serial cable, and your USB/RS232 converter are functional.

Thanks for your contributions. Yes, I did see the Mac/Ip address for the controller and PING it but it came up as:192.168........is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I did not see anything about BOOTP/DHCP settings in advanced settings. Good to know that no version of RSLinx Classic Lite is supported in Windows 8. Wished I knew earlier. I would have used all these time reading up on something else.

I do not quite understand the advise about downloading version 3.6, as RSLinx Classic Lite is always free from AB website.?

Yes, I did change the serial port to DCCOMM as the default setting with no luck.

I do not know how to use a serial terminal like Real Term. I'm new to this. May you give some guidance as to how to do this, please? At least then I would know the ports, cables etc. are good. Thanks a lot.

Okay, let's take a step back.

The MicroLogix 1100 sounds like it does have an IP address configured.

Whenever you are going to communicate with a device over a local Ethernet network, you need to have your computer configured for an IP address that is on the same logical IP subnet. This is basic IP networking, so there are thousands of tutorials and textbooks on it.

What is the actual IP address shown on the MicroLogix 1100 LCD screen ?

What is the actual IP address of your Windows 8 PC ?

In all previous versions of Windows, the most straightforward way to determine your computer's IP address was to open a CMD window and type "ipconfig /all".

Because your computer apparently is missing the classic PING command it's possible that it was configured to lack some of the basic networking tools.

You might just have your PC and the MicroLogix not on the same IP network. Let's figure that out, first.

Let's also talk about one of the basic principles of USB/RS232 converters; the COM port number.

In the old days, your computer had one or two serial ports. They were always enumerated as COM1 and COM2.

But USB/RS232 converters can be any COMx number that the driver assigns. Some of the cheap ones even change the COM port number depending on which USB port you plug them into.

If you have software like RSLinx Classic that requires you to designate a COM port in the serial driver configuration, it is absolutely necessary that you know for certain the COM port number of the RS-232 converter.

In Windows 7 and XP, this was found in the Control Panel -> Hardware Devices -> Ports (COM and LPT) section. I don't know where you find this in Windows 8.

Exactly which brand and model of USB/RS232 converter are you using ? Does it have a known-good Windows 8 driver ?

Okay, let's take a step back.

The MicroLogix 1100 sounds like it does have an IP address configured.

Whenever you are going to communicate with a device over a local Ethernet network, you need to have your computer configured for an IP address that is on the same logical IP subnet. This is basic IP networking, so there are thousands of tutorials and textbooks on it.

What is the actual IP address shown on the MicroLogix 1100 LCD screen ?

What is the actual IP address of your Windows 8 PC ?

In all previous versions of Windows, the most straightforward way to determine your computer's IP address was to open a CMD window and type "ipconfig /all".

Because your computer apparently is missing the classic PING command it's possible that it was configured to lack some of the basic networking tools.

You might just have your PC and the MicroLogix not on the same IP network. Let's figure that out, first.

Okay, thanks.

The IP address on the ML1100 LCD screen is 192.168.1.1

Window 8 PC's IP address is 192.168.1.116

Just found out that Windows 8 PC has Auto Configuration as well as DHCP Server enabled. DHCP's IP address is 192.168.1.1 Same as the ip address on the ML1100 LCD screen.(If this has anything to do with the discussion). Thanks

Let's also talk about one of the basic principles of USB/RS232 converters; the COM port number.

In the old days, your computer had one or two serial ports. They were always enumerated as COM1 and COM2.

But USB/RS232 converters can be any COMx number that the driver assigns. Some of the cheap ones even change the COM port number depending on which USB port you plug them into.

If you have software like RSLinx Classic that requires you to designate a COM port in the serial driver configuration, it is absolutely necessary that you know for certain the COM port number of the RS-232 converter.

In Windows 7 and XP, this was found in the Control Panel -> Hardware Devices -> Ports (COM and LPT) section. I don't know where you find this in Windows 8.

Exactly which brand and model of USB/RS232 converter are you using ? Does it have a known-good Windows 8 driver ?

The COM port information on my computer is found in Device Manager under Network Adapters.

Yes, I have realized that the one I'm using changes the COM port number depending upon which port I plug into. Earlier, when I plugged into one of the USB 2 ports, it gave it COM 4 but when I tried a USB 3 port it assigned COM 6

I'm using a brand called Gigaware I bought from RadioShack. Not sure if it has a known good Windows 8 driver. I shall find out. Thanks.

Do you have the Windows 8 PC and the MicroLogix both plugged into a router, like the sort you might have for a home Internet connection ?

If so, the MicroLogix IP address and the router's IP address are probably conflicting.

If you can connect the MicroLogix and your computer directly, without being connected to that router, you might be able to "see" the MicroLogix using PING, HTTP or RSLinx Classic.

It sounds like you're aware of how to determine the correct COM port number, then.

The DF1 Full Duplex driver is the one you want. Don't rely on the "Autoconfigure" feature; if the DCOMM feature has been turned on, the MicroLogix 1100 is set for DF1 Full Duplex, 19200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, CRC error checking.

All you have to do to the DF1 Full Duplex driver is set it up for 'PLC/SLC/MicroLogix Channel 0" as the Device Type.

Do you have the Windows 8 PC and the MicroLogix both plugged into a router, like the sort you might have for a home Internet connection ?

If so, the MicroLogix IP address and the router's IP address are probably conflicting.

If you can connect the MicroLogix and your computer directly, without being connected to that router, you might be able to "see" the MicroLogix using PING, HTTP or RSLinx Classic.

The Window 8 PC is connected wirelessly to the router and the Micrologix is connected physical to Window 8 PC.

A quick search on the Gigaware, USB to Serial cable revealed a few connection problems. I appreciate your attempt to help solve this problem. Thanks