ControlNet Comm Interface

PLBoudette

I recently had a comms error show up on a 1747-SCNR card in a SLC PLC rack. I am trying to connect to the 1747-SCNR card to view the ControlNet network configuration and try to repair it. I am new to ControlNet but have been reading up on it a bit. I have a ControlNet Comms Interface (1770-KFC15) module that I'm trying to communicate with but am having problems. Here are the settings I used for the interface:

Network Address: 99
DF1 Port: Serial
Baud Rate: 9600
Parity: Even
Full/Half Duplex: Full
Parallel Port Transfer: Byte
Error Detection: BCC
DF1 Station Address: 01

I have a USB to serial adapter connected to a 9-pin to 25-pin serial modem cable (Belkin F2L088-10) to an RS 232C female to female gender bender (25 pin). Then I set up a new RS-232 DF1 driver in RSLinx with the following settings:

Device: KFC 1.5
Baud Rate: 9600
Station Number: 01
Parity: None
Error Checking: BCC
Stop Bit: 1
Protocol: Full Duplex

I thought these were the correct settings & configuration but I'm not getting any comms. Again, I'm pretty new with this but was wondering if anyone had any insight? Thanks.

The 1770-KFC15 serial port is a "DTE" style, so you need a "null modem" type cable.

Because you're going from a 9-pin to a 25-pin, the pinout will be
9-pin -> 25 pin
2 - 2
3 - 3
5 - 7

The simple test is to put a "null modem adapter" on the DB9 side, if you can find one.