Profibus adapter

macstorm

Hi all,
I am in need of Profibus adapter that should work without Siemens drivers like step-7 (set pg/pc interface) / softing drivers etc.
The adapter should have USB at one end and 9-pin sub D-socket to communicate at another end. The adapter should comes with API's so that I can create my own application using it and establish profibus communication between my variable frequency drive and PC.

could you please tell me is there any kind of adapter??

Thanks all...

How would you do this without a hardware driver ?
My suggestions would have been Siemens and Softing, but for some reason you dont want to use them. There may be other suppliers, but they surely will also have you install a drive for the hardware.

What is it that you are trying to achieve ?

Ya I need Hardware driver but at less cost compared to Siemens and softing.. I didnt find any suppliers.. Please suggest me some adapter..

I am trying to achieve profibus communication without siemens hardware driver and try to reduce the cost of profibus communication.
is it possible to achieve???

Last edited:
You want to operate your PC as a Profibus master, controlling Profibus slaves such as VFD's.
In that case there is no particular low-cost solution that I know of.

If this was Profinet, then I think there are some that make software-based Profinet stacks. Dont know the price but I doubt it is cheap.

Low cost in the sense, In comparison to SIEMENS profibus communication i.e with ( step-7 hardware driver and siemens adapter) , I should have less cost (X profibus adapter and y hardware driver) for establishing profibus communication..

so your telling it is not possible. am I right ??
Thanks.

hi, I am using Siemens CP5711 adapter and Step-7 software for profibus communication..

so, i need ( some profibus adapter + software driver )costs less than these. Thats great !!
I will try to find.
Thanks.

Profibus Adapter

Dear Jesper,

But at the end isn't the CP5711 a Profibus adapter at the end?

Best regards
Hagos

Yes the CP5711 is a Profibus adapter.
The "softnet" means that some of the protocol is handled in software by the driver.
A "hardnet" adapter has all the protocol in hardware.
Typically softnet adapters are less expensive than hardnet adapters, so you are already have the least expensive solution for Siemens.