Looking for acoustic transmitter and receiver

Hi,

I am looking for a standard acoustic transmitter and a receiver (separate), in the range of 40Khz (ultrasonic).
What we want to do is detect whether or not there is a physical connection of metal pipes(part steel, part aluminum) between mounting points of these pipes. The distance is from 5mtrs to 20 meters.
We have already tested with electrical solutions, putting a wire over the pipe, or using the pipe as a conductor, and these solutions are not acceptable for our purpose. So we thought about trying it with sound.
Problems are that mounting points of the pipes are also in the same metal framework and only about 30cm from each other so sound from one transmitter could be detected by the receiver of the mounting point next to it).
If that would happen we could insulate separate connection points with rubber.
Also the pipe connections consist of roughly 5 separate sections, so we can not use an RFID solution either. There are bends in the pipes, and we can not have a sensor actually going inside the pipe.

I have been browsing for acoustic sensors for a while now and not yet found what I am looking for (only transducers/level sensors).
We would prefer a plug and play transmitter(to connect to digital I/o of a PLC) and receiver instead of building one from separate electronic components.

Does anyone know if something like this exists and if yes where I should look ?

Kind regards,
Robert