knob + quadrature encoder problem

damjaniii

Hi guys. I wrote a programme for determining direction of movement of the quadrature encoder on 5V with TTL logic. Everything works perfect except when i spin the knob really really fast, then it gets a little confused. I'm using beckhoff EL1124 module for digital inputs. Ahy help or hint? i think the code is right and i also think that there may be something i dot know about speed of reading the inpust or something like that. i wrote 3-4 algorithms till now and they all have one single bug, when i spin it really fast. Any help please?

How fast is really fast?
How many pulse per second?
What is the scan time of the plc program?
What is the input delay of the input card?

The module you're using is just a fast input card, the module I'm suggesting is suitable for encoders as it has an internal processor that "catches" the encoder pulses, and transmits the actual value to the processor.
That's the type of modules we use, when we have encoders...

The module you're using is just a fast input card, the module I'm suggesting is suitable for encoders as it has an internal processor that "catches" the encoder pulses, and transmits the actual value to the processor.
That's the type of modules we use, when we have encoders...

thanks a lot @jmsmoreira. :)

so the program can keep up with 1 pulse/ms
the card 1124 is a lot faster it takes only 0.05 us to get the info.
but 1124 is not counting thus max it keeps to the program.
(a way to solve this is to use interupt logic (a special task reacting on a event.
the 5111 can keep up with 1 us signal and this one has a counter intern so you can ask the position al the time.
no need for special event.