Full understanding of the quadrature encoder?

busarider29

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a new machine build scheduled for next year that will use a spindle motor. That motor may have a quadrature encoder mounted directly on the spindle shaft (not motor shaft). I have a colleague that wants to split the compliments and use two for feedback to the machine and the other two for connecting to his NI hardware for one-off testing. Won't doing this affect accuracy of our spindle speed feedback if not using all four of the compliments for feedback to the machine?

Thanks,
D

Besides whatever potential electrical effects due to voltage differences between the two systems, it will do two things:

1) Each side will have half the resolution. You could potentially work around this by using an encoder with double the desired resolution, if one is available.
2) You won't be able to tell what direction the spindle is turning. This might not be a problem for you.

split the compliments

This is doable if you don't need to know the direction from the encoder, and you mean A & A' as one compliment and B & B' as the other, and this application doesn't require the resolution of both channels.
I've seen many times where a quadrature encoder is installed but only channel is required/used.

Last edited: