22mm Encoder w/ Knob?

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know of someone makes an encoder that fits in the opening for a 22mm pushbutton? Something with low resolution but A & B channels so we can tell direction for trimming a signal?

Thanks

Does anyone know of someone makes an encoder that fits in the opening for a 22mm pushbutton? Something with low resolution but A & B channels so we can tell direction for trimming a signal?

Thanks

That seems like an odd way to trim a signal....unless you're looking for infinite trim. ? Otherwise use an analog POT. If infinite trim just use two pushbuttons...up/down...create your own pulse train on the buttons being held down within the PLC.

The customer wanted something rotary and right now we have a pot but there is a catch.

On the screen in the panel, the customer can select one of 14 different values to 'trim'. All of these have a manual entry but they also want the operator to be able to make slight adjustments up and down using a rotary knob. It's easier and more tactile this way so they can watch the process without worrying if they are touching the right place on the screen.

They are only adjusting one at a time which is also selected on the screen.

The dilemma comes in when they change from one parameter to another. What if they have moved the pot all the way to one end on the previous adjustment and then need to adjust the new parameter in that same direction? I thought when they change we'd throw up a pop up box that asks them to center the pot but if I had a simple rotary encoder that was slow enough to be read by standard inputs then I'm in like Flynn. Even if I need to get an encoder card I'd be ok because everything is on slice I/O. There are 8 of these panels on the system and they are already built so the room I have is the space for a 22mm pushbutton.

Thanks

That seems like an odd way to trim a signal....unless you're looking for infinite trim. ? Otherwise use an analog POT. If infinite trim just use two pushbuttons...up/down...create your own pulse train on the buttons being held down within the PLC.

I have used an encoder to control the speed of a machine. When using an encoder, you can make the signal go to zero and start over every time the machine stops.