O/T 22mm Trapped Keyswitch

Thanks to everyone for their input, but despite several suggestions, no result yet. Everything suitable seems to be fairly large in size and I'm really looking for something that will fit into a standard size pushbutton enclosure. The closest so far seems to be the new AB Senseject keyswitches but unfortunately they're not safety rated :cry: which is a shame as these would be perfect.

Thanks again.

I don't mean to be a jerk here but did you ever think that maybe you need to rethink your mechanical system.

Maybe the safety rated devices are their size for a reason and to make them smaller might compromise their safety rating?

Maybe turning the unit 90 deg and having the toungue actuator come in from a different side, re-configuring an access door a little or if you can't make it work with the existing door, how about placing a piece of perimeter guarding w/ access door further away from the process where you might have more room. With aluminum framing, it's relatively quick and easy to do things like that.

Just some other ideas....

ndzied1 said:
I don't mean to be a jerk here but did you ever think that maybe you need to rethink your mechanical system.

Maybe the safety rated devices are their size for a reason and to make them smaller might compromise their safety rating?

Maybe turning the unit 90 deg and having the toungue actuator come in from a different side, re-configuring an access door a little or if you can't make it work with the existing door, how about placing a piece of perimeter guarding w/ access door further away from the process where you might have more room. With aluminum framing, it's relatively quick and easy to do things like that.

Just some other ideas....
Ndzied, I don't think you're being a jerk about it at all, and your thoughts are completely reasonable.
We have however gone through this thought process already and I'm literally running out of space to fit everything.
Mechanically we have gone through the process of moving/rotating/re-configuring etc (I've had the guys redesign this thing about 14 times now) and I'm now at the stage where I need a trapped key system that is safety rated and able to fit into a standard 22mm pushbutton box as it's the only place for it.
Unfortunately the one thing I don't have on this system is any room, and trust me when I say that we have optimized our space requirements as much as we can whilst keeping the system safe.
I'm starting to think that such a keyswitch doesn't presently exist, but that only leads to more expense as I would probably have to replace all the guarding (or a significant portion of it) for light curtains.

Anyway, thanks for your input, and you're not a jerk for asking such questions, I appreciate everyone's comments.

Regards

Not much help I know, but I recently worked at Heathrow Airport where we used 22mm trapped keyswitches on a guarding system.

I'll see if i can contact someone still there and perhaps they may tell me who's equipment they were.

The keys were specials that could only be copied by someone with the correct paperwork.

Thinking about what this was. The system was to enable someone to open a safety gate to access an area where the equipment had to be stopped before entry.

The door had a normal security key, i.e. like a chubb etc type key, but the high security type that cannot be copied without the authorising paperwork.

The key was attached to a steel wire which was attached at one end to a fixed point, the other had the key above and a security bolt/key, this fitted into the trap device which was via a 22mm hole in an operator box.

The operator requests access, the equpiment is stopped and the key released after a delay.

Does this sound the type of thing you could use?