Trying to connect using 9300_usbs PLC 5/25

mark thompson

I Have new computer HP Windows:cry: 7 64bit using a AB 9300-usbs with gender changer and trying to connect with PLC 5/25 AND PLC 5/15. My USB is COM5 and RS Linx is COM5. When I auto config it give me the standard answer check cable connections and switches. Need help ! Thank you .

Last edited:
Yes both working,been programing using my old computer with a PCMK card and cable. I was told I could use this 9300 for a PLC 5/25 on my newer computer from an AB person.

If it were a "New Platform" PLC-5 controller like the PLC-5/20, PLC-5/40, or PLC-5/80 you could use an ordinary RS-232 interface like the 9300-USBS, because those have a 25-pin RS-232 port as Channel 0.

This includes the Ethernet and ControlNet versions of the PLC-5 New Platform controllers.

But the "Classic" models, including PLC-5/15 and 5/25, have just that Peer Communication Link (PCL) port, which is compatible with Data Highway Plus.

I've heard people claim they can use a particular Duel Systems PCMCIA converters with the 1784-PCMK card, but I've never seen this well verified or documented.

There's a long PLCTalk thread about it:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=37595

Unfortunately the guys who claim it works generally don't post anything detailed, and the guys who say it doesn't work dont' accept that RA can't singlehandedly hold back the course of computer hardware evolution.