ExpressCard to PCMCIA Adapter for 1784-PCMK

bbopn

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anybody have any experience with an ExpressCard to PCMCIA adapter? In a nutshell.....

My company purchased new laptops that do not have a PCMCIA slot that we can jack our 1784-PCMK into.

I found the following thread here:

http://tinyurl.com/2t9hty

but there's no mention if someone is actually doing this and the results... bad or good.

Thanks!
Bobby

Mickey said:
See PDF, AB knowledgebase I.D. 35156

Per the Technote last updated 11/06:
Summary:
Rockwell Automation does not make, or supply any USB Interface cards or adapters at this time for DH+, ControlNet or DeviceNet networks. In addition, Rockwell Automation does not yet support the new ExpressCard format, and the present PCMCIA cards; PCMK, PCD, and PCC will not work with any ExpressCard adapter that we know of.
Well luckily my Latitude D830 has both PCMCIA slot and an ExpressCard slot. My co-workers on the other hand just picked up the Dell Vostro and are beginning to get kind of long in the face.

I guess what I'm looking for is someone who may have tried an ExpressCard to PCMCIA Converter (like this one here: http://tinyurl.com/3csu95) and plugged in the 1784-PCMK card to see if it worked or not before I spend 100+ bucks on a lesson in futility.

Thanks,
Bobby

That Knowledgebase document is due for an update shortly.

I have had two customers purchase the Duel Systems ExpressCard/PCMCIA adapter and attempt to use it with 1784-PCMK/A and /B and 1784-PCC cards. None of them work with the Duel Systems adapter.

When the first customer bought his adapter, Duel Systems was only advertising it to work with "AirCard" digital cellular modems. More recently Duel Systems has changed their advertising to make claims to broader categories of products, which is where my second customer got bitten, as Dell's sales representative told him that the Duel Systems card "should work with any PCMCIA card". That same Dell sales rep told him that none of Dell's notebook PCs were available with PCMCIA slots or RS232 ports.

That Knowledgebase document is due for an update shortly.
Crossing my fingers.... USB to DH+?

I have had two customers purchase the Duel Systems ExpressCard/PCMCIA adapter and attempt to use it with 1784-PCMK/A and /B and 1784-PCC cards. None of them work with the Duel Systems adapter.
Well you just saved me $100 bucks with that! Small world... first adult beverage is on me!

When the first customer bought his adapter, Duel Systems was only advertising it to work with "AirCard" digital cellular modems. More recently Duel Systems has changed their advertising to make claims to broader categories of products, which is where my second customer got bitten, as Dell's sales representative told him that the Duel Systems card "should work with any PCMCIA card". That same Dell sales rep told him that none of Dell's notebook PCs were available with PCMCIA slots or RS232 ports.
I guess I feel kind of lucky getting my D830 then and not going through a sales rep. I am having an issue w/ my Serial Port though.... but that's another story and post.

Thanks,
Bobby

The recent update of RSLinx Classic 2.53 included support for the not-yet-released 1784-U2DHP.

I have not seen this USB/DH+ adapter either in pictures or in person, and don't know anything about its price, performance, or availability. I just know that the drivers are in RSLinx Classic
so the hardware is likely pretty close to release.

PCMCIA Adapter vs Allen Bradley $2k plus card (OUCH)

I have a DuelAdapter that works, it's easy to set-up all you have to do is plud in, load in the adapter drivers then put the PCMK card and when recognized load your 1794-PCMK card and it works, I've used it already, now PCC card it recognizes it but I have not used it yet not I gotten the drivers right yet. PCMK is easy but PCC I have to do a little more research if anyonre know about it we can share homework. http://duel-systemsadapters.com/
By the way, it does recognize both cards.
Willie

Just my luck

My Duel adapter seems ok but the PCMK is never detected.
I have a PCMCIA firewire card rusting at home somewhere, I'll have to find that and see if it loads....

🔨

Duel Adapter

Just received the Duel Adapter (drivers 1.0.1)
It detects the 1784-PCC and 1784-PCD (not tried online yet).
When I insert a 1784-PCMK ser A or ser B, nothing, not detected.
Can any of you guys who have the 1784-PCMK working give me any insight. thx.

PC DELL XPS M1710 WinXPsp3

This could be related to XP SP3, my D830 came with XP SP3 installed from the factory (has a PCMCIA slot). I have issues with my PCMK card when I physically disconnect and try to re-connect to a system. The PCMK driver bombs out and I have to restart the computer. If I go through the process of shutting down RSlinx, shutting down RSLogix 500 and and stopping all the services associated with it, I can then physically disconnect from the network and reconnet and re-start RSLinx without issues.

I think I'll be reformtting and installing SP2 instead. It's been a hassle on my current startup.

invisible 1784-PCMK

Unlike the PCC and PCD and 3COM card, when you insert the PCMK (A or B) in the DUEL the cards are not even seen by the adapter. There isn't the slightest hint that the PCMK is recognised as being plugged in, no prompt for driver, no unrecognised device, and nothing in device manager bu the DUEL. I have also tried unpluging and reinserting the DUEL with the card inserted.