ExpressCard serial adapters

dschlic1

My new notebook computer not only does not have a serial port, it also has the new ExpressCard slot. Can anyone give some recommendations for serial (RS232) that will work with most PLC comms?

I've just upgraded my laptop as well.
Because I require serial, IT got me a Serial ExpressCard/34 made by Manhattan. (Model #158008).

It has worked well for everything I've thrown at it with the exception of an AB PIC.
However I find it a pain to use because the card pops out when I'm plugging a cable in.

I recommend the USB options.

Yes - express cards are an absolute pain and fall out/disconnect all the time. I tried 3 brands and threw them all away!

Thanks Mickey....

----------------------------------------------

Yes the auto config does work with the Keyspans

I have been looking for an express card to sell for some time now but have not found one that is good enough and is priced right to resell, I think Chris is selling one...

Express card are somewhat like Windows Vista! Soon they will be history.

I tried 3 different adapters... from Express to standard PCMCIA on my latest Dell PC. None worked with the ControlNet PCMCIA adapter ... that was a year ago... before the USB version came out.

The best USB adaptor is IMHO Keyspan.

I had them work with all kinds of funny stuff.

The only anoyance I have found is that some software will keep the dedicated com port number active even when the keyspan is disconnected. So you have to go into the Control panel to erase them ... unless the application can be connecting through port com14 ... then next time com15 ... and so on.