Logix5000 Message Control Issue

SimonDreyer

Hi Folks I am configuring an OLDI card that requires me to create a message instruction in the PLC to trigger an event in the card. I create a new Controller tag of the type MESSAGE but when I do a verify, I get a warning "message tag not configured" When I try to use the tag in thre message Control block I get an error that no tag has been specified. I am running RSLogix5000 V20.01 Any help please!
Cheers S

The message instruction itself needs a tag name defining and whatever data you are reading or writing to and from in your message instruction also need separate tag names defining. I may be misunderstanding what you are saying but I read it as though you were trying to use the tag name for the message instruction within the configuration options for the message control block.

body { font: 12px/1.3 "Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; color: #333333; line-height: 1.6; }a { color: #aaaaaa; }.messageBody blockquote { border-left: 1px solid #CCCCCC; margin-left: 10px; padding-left: 4px; }.badimagesdisabled { background: url('/images/blocked_image.png') no-repeat scroll center center transparent; cursor:pointer; min-height: 40px; min-width: 40px; border: 1px #E3E3E3 solid; }* .badimagesdisabled { height: expression( this.scrollHeight < 41 ? '40px' : 'auto' ); width: expression( this.scrollWidth < 41 ? '40px' : 'auto' ); }.highlight { background-color: #B5D5FF; }#bodyWrapper { .overflow-x: scroll }
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}

This is the information that I have been given to create the message, this was the email sent to me by the suppliet of the card.

Start of Email:

and here’s an example of MSG instruction in the ControlLogix:

image006.png

image007.png

To create a Message Instruction that can cause a tManager Event trigger to fire…

1. Use the RSLOGIX5000 Tag Editor to create a tag at controller scope with a MESSAGE data type.

2. Go to the Ladder Editor, and insert a rung that contains a MSG. instruction. The instruction operand

should be the MESSAGE tag you just created.

3. Click the button to the right of the operand to go to the Message Configuration dialog.

4. For Message Type, choose "CIP Generic".

5. For Service Type, choose “Set Attribute Single” (which has a Service Code of 10), and you will be able

to manually enter the Class and Attribute to which the service is to be sent.

6. For Class, enter 4.

7. For Attribute, enter 3h.

8. Leave Source Element blank.

9. For Source Length, enter 0.

10. The Instance (decimal) must match the Message Instance specified in the associated tManager Event

trigger. Valid values are 1024 thru 4095.

11. Click the Communication tab.

12. For Path, enter module name or CIP path to the module.

13. For Communication Method, choose "CIP".

14. Check "Connected".

15. "Cache Connections" may be checked or unchecked. A check is recommended for in-rack Messages

that occur more often than 1/sec, or for ‘remote’ PLC Messages that occur more often than 1/5 sec.

If a MSG instruction fails due to a connection related problem (data size mismatch, config parameter

mismatch, etc), one of the AB pre-defined error codes will be used (as defined in RSLogix5000 help). If

the fired trigger fails due to a tManager processing error (trigger disabled, mapped tag I/O error, etc),

the base error code is set to generic (FFh) and the extended error code is set as follows:

7001h = General (internal) error

7002h = Invalid mode for request (module halted)

7003h = Trigger already in process

7004h = var/ref/tol I/O or compare overflow error

7005h = Trigger disabled or var/ref/tol condition == FALSE

7006h = Trigger failed (probably tag I/O error)

The MSG done bit is not set until the trigger completes (successful or not).

Let me know if you can get it to work.

If you do not need to use a message instruction to fire the transaction, you can use a PERIODIC trigger, and periodically monitor a tag in the PLC.

This type of trigger doesn’t require any ladder logic in the PLC.

End of Email: