Best way to reprogram SLC 5/03 in 96 motorhome.

Marc Nach

Total newbie here - please forgive my ignorance!
I have a 1996 Monaco coach with the SLC 5/03 processor, 3 input modules and three output modules, 2 of them remotely mounted. It would seem that I have lost the program in the processor memory. I show inputs but no outputs are generated in response. I have checked voltages and everything else I can check to no avail. Everything seems correct: no fuses blown, voltages are good, inputs registering correctly. The comm lights on the output modules blink at about 1hz constantly but that's it. Fault light on the SLC is flashing quickly, DH485 flashing green at 1hz, Batt light is on solid red, all others off. I replaced the battery and the light went off, but the next day it came back on. I had soldered the leads from the old battery to the new one and I think I got it too hot, so I will be replacing it again right away. The voltage of the old battery was 2.83 volts, which doesn't seem to be low enough to cause memory loss in my opinion, but what do I know?! I replaced the old battery within the 30 minutes time recommended to avoid memory loss, but it was probably gone already.
I have a printout of the ladder logic program that came with the coach and I started to write it into RSLogix MicroStarter Lite, which is going very well, but I stopped to make sure I'm not wasting my time.
My question is what is the best, easiest way to get my program configured for my hardware, verified and downloaded to the SLC without having to purchase RSLogix 500 software? As I understand it currently, I can't configure the drivers for RSLinx for my hardware without the 500 SW. I'm not really interested in becoming a PLC programmer at this time - I just want to get my coach running. Can I finish writing my program in MSLite and have one of you out there configure, verify and compile it and send it back to me so I can upload it and move on? What would I have to have on my end to facilitate the upload? Can I even get there from here or do I have to buy the software, and if so which ones and what is the least expensive way to go about it?
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me, and my apologies for any terribly dumb questions!

Hi Marc, you can download a 7 day free trail of the full RSlogix500, which would enable you to write and download the program, you would also have to download or have a light (free) model of RSlinx, which is the gateway from the computer to the CPU.
With these you can then look in the PLC and see if you have a code/logix in the CPU or not.

Also Marc you would require a 9 pin Null modem cable, which you can make yourself with a diagram search on this site. The only problem you may encounter is if you need to use a USB to RS232 converter (unless you have a laptop with a serial comms port) some converters have a bit of trouble talking to the PLC via RSLinx

Hi Marc,

The "lite" or "free" version of RSLogix 500 will only support two of the smallest controllers in the family, the MicroLogix 1000 and 1100.

You shouldn't even have been able to select a 1747-L53x controller (the SLC-5/03). If it did, then you must have somehow gotten the Standard version of RSLogix 500, and the ability to open that program will disappear after 7 days when the Grace Period runs out.

Does Monaco still have the source code for these coaches controllers? I'd be surprised if they didn't.

For this kind of "get the program restored" repairs, the best thing to do is hire a system integrator to help you out. The guys who work with A-B SLC-500 controllers a lot will be able to do in minutes the sort of connections and troubleshooting that could take you days when you're starting from scratch.

Your A-B dealer in Redding, CA is Rexcel. Give them a call and ask who they recommend for a small Allen-Bradley SLC-500 repair job.

you can download a 7 day free trail of the full RSlogix500,

Are you sure about that ? I thought you could only download the Free/Micro Lite version without purchasing the software.

I haven't ever had to do so... I've owned an RSLogix 500 license for almost 20 years.

Also: the rapidly-draining battery is not normal. Those are 3V batteries and they typically last for years at a time.

The capacitor usually holds the program for a far longer than 30 minutes.. I've had them hold the program for weeks.

I would plan to a replacement CPU, but first get somebody to connect to find out if the controller program is missing or if the controller is just faulted.

While you're at it, pop the controller out and see if there is an EEPROM memory module installed in the socket on the board.

Be sure the chassis is powered down before you remove the CPU !

Thanks Duckman for the prompt reply
I have a USB to 9pin serial converter cable with a gender reverser and what I believe is a null serial cable (the matching pins don't show continuity). I have not tried to communicate with the SLC yet because I wanted to know what I was doing first, but the more I read the more frustrated and confused I get! I have RSLinx lite on my laptop at home with the coach. Can I communicate with the SLC without using the RSLogix 500? I want to get as far as I can before starting the free trial period. Do I need to start over writing my program in RSLogix 500 or can I transfer what I have already written into it?
In my research on this issue I haven't seen any references to the free 7 day trial you mention. What hoops does Rockwell expect me to jump through to get the trial and is it somewhere other than their downloads page? I haven't been able to find it so far.

Ken, yes the latest versions are free trial 7 days. Word of warning if you use the latest version of the software it will upgrade any logic you have in the controller to the version you are using (which may be a problem later for someone else)

Thanks Ken
I forgot to mention the first thing I did was call Monaco - they told me everything is too old and they have changed hands a few times and there was nothing they had anymore that could help me!
I picked a random processor when I opened the RSLogix 500 starter version because the SLC was not listed, just so I could check out the ladder program writing procedure, and it was working exactly like my printout so I kept going. I was hoping that I could transfer the program to RSLogix 500 and configure it for the SLC at a later time. Is that do-able?
Thanks for the dealer info - I'll look them up. I would like to learn as much as possible to give me some mental security for the future so I don't mind doing the work - I just don't want to go broke buying software that I may seldom use.

When l said free trail, the software has to be activated within 7 days or the software is gone (it has a pop screen that tries to annoy you but it is fully operational.

RE software, maybe you correct, you may have to have a copy of the full software and after installing you have 7 days to use before it has to be activation. There are copy's out there if you look.

I don't want to de-rail the thread too badly, but I want to be sure that you get the most accurate information.

To the best of my knowledge, the only version of RSLogix 500 software that can be downloaded without being purchased is RSLogix 500 Starter Lite, version 8.30 English.

This is probably what you got, from here:

http://www.ab.com/linked/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html

That's the software that supports only the MicroLogix 1000 and 1100 models. Yes, you can copy-paste from a MicroLogix 1100 controller project right into an SLC-5/03 project, so if you want to do (almost) all your typing ahead of time you can do so.

To connect in a meaningful way (read fault codes, reset fault codes, upload, download) with an SLC-5/03 controller you need both RSLinx Classic Lite and RSLogix 500 Starter, Standard, or Professional.

RSLogix 500 Starter is the least expensive but will still give you sticker shock. The principal feature it lacks is Online Editing, which is not important for your coach controller recovery process.

What I think Duckman is referring to is the 7-day Grace Period feature that RA introduced when they converted to a more flexible software activation method called "FactoryTalk Activation" a few years ago. Most RA software will run for 7 days after installation before you need to get the activation file installed.

In my opinion this is not the same as a "7 day free trial" because you cannot download or receive the software on DVD without purchasing it.

But it may give you the ability to "borrow" the software from the RA distributor or somebody else in your area who already owns it, and run it for 7 days. RA has no formal loaner/trial/rental program for software tools, but the informal economy is a vast and varied place.

There are some very generous people here on the forum and will help anyone who makes an effort to solve their own problems. If the printout is not terribly large and could be scanned, zipped and posted someone might just just re-write the code for you. You should post all the exact numbers of the components to get the right configuration also. Someone that has the software and hardware might even re-load your CPU processor for you. As Ken said, the informal economy is a vast and varied place.

I would check closely for the presence of a memory module. I think I would include one in a motor home design if possible.

Next, if none found, I would hire someone nearby to do the downloading, and burn you a memory module for emergency use, if nothing else. As for entering the code and then changing processors, that would leave you going back and fixing I/O addresses that do not cross, is my expectation.

If you want to save time and can get the use of the minimum software or the standard version, you can copy the logic into the mnemonic text representation and save it in a text file. That way, the logic and addresses are all there, and you can then drop them into the version with the matching SLC and I/O already configured, rather than wait until the trial period begins and try to enter a lot of code.

How many rungs are we talking about?

Writing logic with 3 character names from the keyboard is actually faster for a lot of the work anyway, once you learn the BST NXB and BND codes for branching. I would only go that far if you are interested in becoming an Allen Bradley programmer, otherwise, just pay some guy to do the whole bit for you and set you up with a means of restoring it for free in the future.

Even if you want to do this unassisted, you may still find out that the printout does not match the version you lost, or if there are other system related problems you might need experienced help to get going sooner. If you want to learn this stuff, use the mnemonics, I bet we can find a thread on this forum with good examples of how to copy and paste and import and export sections of code between a text editor and RSLogix.

Thank you everyone for the help. You guys are amazing!
My program is 79 rungs on 40 pages. I don't know if that is a lot, but it doesn't seem too daunting (at this point!).
I'm going to check for a memory module this evening and then hook up my laptop and see if we have communication. I will keep you all posted on my progress. Thanks again

Marc

If you look on Ebay there are a bunch of SLC 5/03 and 5/04 processors and memory modules for sale very cheap. The last one I got for a customer was a 2010 model 5/04 and it was only $225. The Memory Module was $50. Might be worth it to have as a spare.

Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that a Motorhome Manufacture would use a SLC PLC in a Motorhome??? That really blows my mind. I would think they would use some relay logic or a cheap PLC.