How to Connect RS422 to Laptop?

samadrazm

Hi,

Does someone know how I can I connect RS422 port to my laptop. There are adapters to do so, but they are quite expensive. Is there anyway I can build the adapter by myself?

PS: The RS422 interface is located on a serial module (CP441) on a rack with Siemens S400 series CPU. The interface is used to connect a weigh scale to the PLC. But I cannot get the communication to work. So I am trying to connect it to my laptop for fault finding.

Any suggestion.

Thanks,
Samad

Both RS422 and RS232 are serial.

I have serial comms on my laptop but it is RS232, I need to connect to RS422.

Thanks

What is it you are connecting to? if its the 400 why dont you use a MPI, the GE cable will not work on a Siemens PLC

The thing is I have trouble to connect a CP441 to a weigh scale using RS422.
I want to connect my laptop to the serial CP module and see if I can send o receive anything. It is purely to test my program and if the config and connection I have made are correct.

Do you have a scope ? if you know the pins you are writing and reading to/from you should be able to see it