Control Logix Error

friedmators

Hi,

I am trying to connect up my DCS (Ovation) to some recently configured ControlLogix 1756-L61 PLC's.

I am receiving the following error when I try to request data:

"Address doesn't point to something usable"

I have other working similar version PLC's working at site and am trying to debug what may be causing this error.

For testing I have reduced my requests to one point (N10:0). It looks to be correctly setup in RSLogix.

What can i check to verify the point is indeed available for reading?

You can open the PLC logic in Rs5000 and connect to that PLC.
Then you may search for any Tag.

If you aren't familiar w/ the changes from 5/500 -> 5000, be aware that there are no 'default' data tables anymore. So N10 may or may not even exist on that PLC.

Under controller tags I have a N10 section

Under the program I have multiply blocks with Source A being a hardwired signal, Source B is 100, and the destination is N10[0] and so on.

Under monitor tags, that register N10[0] has valid numbers in it.

Then you'll need to adjust how your DCS tag is setup. The item id/path or what-have-you, Does your DCS allow you to 'browse' to the PLC?

The programmer may have created an integer array with the first element named N10[0]. That is different to how you first wrote it as N10:0. N10[0] would be a valid tag name in a ControlLogix plc.

My only choices are slot number for the general driver setup which we found to be 7 and the address for the point which i enter as N10:0

The ethernet card I am connecting to is not in the I/O tree in Logix but I think that is ok. I see it fine in Linx and was able to configure.

I can't browse unfortunately. Modbus or OPC and this would be a hell of a lot easier to troubleshoot.

I would call the vendor of your DCS, because it sounds a lot like your driver doesn't support the Logix line of processors properly. Maybe they have an updated driver.

I would call the vendor of your DCS, because it sounds a lot like your driver doesn't support the Logix line of processors properly. Maybe they have an updated driver.

Its interesting. I found another PLC on site with the same ethernet card and revision and its working fine. Looking for differences now. Does the placement of the ethernet module in the I/O tree matter?

Not knowing how that driver is working, It can matter yes.
You sometimes have to setup the 'path' which will reference the slot the ethernet card AND the cpu are in.

Not knowing how that driver is working, It can matter yes.
You sometimes have to setup the 'path' which will reference the slot the ethernet card AND the cpu are in.

Quick update: Using the Wonderware AB CIP Driver, I was able to see data from the PLC using the tag name itself. However, requesting N10:0 resulted in a similar error the Ovation DCS was reporting.
Seems to be a mapping issue.

Quick update: Using the Wonderware AB CIP Driver, I was able to see data from the PLC using the tag name itself. However, requesting N10:0 resulted in a similar error the Ovation DCS was reporting.
Seems to be a mapping issue.

You may have to setup SLC/PLC mapping in the CLX. This is under Logic/Map PLC/SLC Messages. Perhaps look at the other programs you say are working and see if they have this setup.

From memory, this can't be done while running, would require offline change and download.

James

Do we have two Ovation-related threads going on here ? I'm getting a little confused.
Edit: Same topic and user, different Forum.

If the Ovation really is addressed with a colon in the syntax, it is using PLC-5 style addressing.

As James just mentioned, the PLC/SLC Mapping feature must be configured for the ControlLogix to emulate PLC-5 style addressing.

Many users choose to make the array tag very similar to their PLC-5 tag, so that the array "N10" corresponds to data file 10. But the array could just as easily be called "OvationDataN10", as long as it's set up to be equivalent to N10.

Also be sure the array is large enough to match the data file elements the DCS will be trying to read. My habit is to use 255-word arrays to match the usual PLC/SLC data file default size.

Last edited:
Do we have two Ovation-related threads going on here ? I'm getting a little confused.
Edit: Same topic and user, different Forum.

If the Ovation really is addressed with a colon in the syntax, it is using PLC-5 style addressing.

As James just mentioned, the PLC/SLC Mapping feature must be configured for the ControlLogix to emulate PLC-5 style addressing.

Many users choose to make the array tag very similar to their PLC-5 tag, so that the array "N10" corresponds to data file 10. But the array could just as easily be called "OvationDataN10", as long as it's set up to be equivalent to N10.

Also be sure the array is large enough to match the data file elements the DCS will be trying to read. My habit is to use 255-word arrays to match the usual PLC/SLC data file default size.

Sorry Ken. Yea I wasn't sure if one place was better than the other one so I posted in both. DCS is a small world though. :) About to get into Logix and see if the mapping is setup correctly. Thanks for the replies on both forums by the way.