idec & freewave fgr2

kf5aeo

ok a customer we have has multiple tank batteries with pumps but so far only want to monitor one of those batteries tank levels. we have idec fc5a-c24r2 and c24r2c plcs in just about every battery. would it be better to add Ethernet moduals to the plcs, and use Ethernet radios, or just tie serial radios to the pls and use an Ethernet ready plc at the master location to send out the alarms?

Also has anyone used the idec and freewave combination?

I havent used Idec but have used many freewaves. they are a great solid serial radio. If you are just collecting data, the serial radios will work just fine. If your customer requires the ability to remotely connect to the plc or other ethernet devices then look at the ethernet radios. otherwise the serial will work fine.

I'd just use the serial too. Using some IDEC's now too. Serial to our remote batteries, then Ethernet to SCADA from master

I'd just use the serial too. Using some IDEC's now too. Serial to our remote batteries, then Ethernet to SCADA from master

Awsome. Thats how i figured id end up doing it. Id like ethernet to make it easier to do troubleshooting, but ive read you can only have one "slave" using ethernet.

Awsome. Thats how i figured id end up doing it. Id like ethernet to make it easier to do troubleshooting, but ive read you can only have one "slave" using ethernet.
Not sure but I'll try to study it some this week. I would suppose the modbus/tcp wouldn't care about a slave. o_O
I do know the tagging form the Master is replicated in the slaves much like the produced/consumed tagging in allen-bradley processors. Pretty slick and very reasonable too.

I havent used Idec but have used many freewaves. they are a great solid serial radio. If you are just collecting data, the serial radios will work just fine. If your customer requires the ability to remotely connect to the plc or other ethernet devices then look at the ethernet radios. otherwise the serial will work fine.

ok so I have everything programmed and all comms settings the same was told you have to cross the tx from plc to rx on radio on both sides is that right?