WinCC to S7-200 using OPC

sparky64

I'm trying to setup a WinCC project to display data from an S7-200 cpu 226, but the PPI protocol isn't available in the WinCC channel select file, so i'm going to try and use the OPC channel connection.

My questions are:-

1. Is it possible for WinCC to communicate to S7-200 using OPC over the PPI protocol??
2. Can i use the siemens OPC server in Simatic Net?? or do i need to buy an OPC server from the likes of http://www.matrikon.com/drivers/Details.asp?driver=1448

Thanks for any replies

Cheers
Sparky :(

1. Yes - if there is an OPC server for a protocol, then WINCC can use it.

2. Not sure you can use Simatic Net.
I think that there is a "MicroComputing" software package for S7-200 with an OPC server for PPI, but I cannot locate it.
So I think that it is a good idea to get an OPC from one of the "3rd parties".

I have used both. My preference is Software Toolbox's OPC connection. It sets up the same for ALL PLC manufactured and they have great support. You can download and run their drivers from the internet and it will run for a limited time.