RS485 based fieldbuses Diagnostic tools

grnick50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear all,

I own a Profibus Diagnostic tool from Procentec that is excellent and we had 10/10 Success rate in troubleshooting Profibus DP & PA networks.
The great joy of this tool is that it can trigger on an excact slave so that you can see transmitted and responded data from that exact slave.

I am currently facing an issue with ABBs CS31 network which is RS485 based too. Unfortunatelly our tester is only good for profibus. So I had to tap a common DSO on the bus to check if the traces are good. The problem is that the simple DSO cannot trigger to an excact slave and although you can see the pulses, you don know were it is send to and from.

Does anyone know of a DSO or another diagnostic tool that can be used for any RS485 based network?
What tools do you usually use to troubleshoot Modbus, CS31 etc?