OT- Pressure transmitter

Lemming

Hello

Have an application where I need a few pressure transmitters for a 90°C, 25% saline solution. Have no experience with this, but am told it eats 316SS.
Was thinking ceramic diaphram and Hastealloy wet end, but wondered if a more cost effective option is available ?? Need a few for tank levels, so only 0.4 bar span, but 2 need to live in an evaporator down to -0.9 bar..

Cheers Chris

Yes, transmitters are quite susceptible to damage from the fluids they are exposed to. Is a bummer to have to drain tanks and keep replacing xmitters: gets expensive replacing them over and over.

Have you thought about a pulsed bubbler instead of a pressure transmitter? My recollection is they are roughly in the same price range as a high end transmitter?? With a bubbler you just place a piece of tubing in the fluid and the bubbler blows a little bit of air through the tube, measuring the pressure. The level is directly related to the pressure and specific gravity of the liquid. With a bubbler, there is no electronics in the tank (can be hundreds of feet away) so there is no transmitter to go bad. Try googling 'pulsed bubbler level indicator'.

Another option is an isolation diaphragm - they should be available from your transmitter supplier and as the name implies keep the sensed fluid from direct contact with the transmitter.

Yes, transmitters are quite susceptible to damage from the fluids they are exposed to. Is a bummer to have to drain tanks and keep replacing xmitters: gets expensive replacing them over and over.

Have you thought about a pulsed bubbler instead of a pressure transmitter? My recollection is they are roughly in the same price range as a high end transmitter?? With a bubbler you just place a piece of tubing in the fluid and the bubbler blows a little bit of air through the tube, measuring the pressure. The level is directly related to the pressure and specific gravity of the liquid. With a bubbler, there is no electronics in the tank (can be hundreds of feet away) so there is no transmitter to go bad. Try googling 'pulsed bubbler level indicator'.

Seen these in a well / bore scenario, but not sure they would be a good fit for a tank, or especially a vacuum..

Last edited:
Another option is an isolation diaphragm - they should be available from your transmitter supplier and as the name implies keep the sensed fluid from direct contact with the transmitter.

Am looking into this, but a Hastealloy diaphragm + PT is as expensive as a ceramic / Hastealloy transmitter, and not as accurate.. A PVC diaphragm is ideal, but accuracy suddenly blows out to +/- 10%...

Plan A may have been the best option...

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Seen these in a well / bore scenario, but not sure they would be a good fit for a tank, or especially a vacuum..

Yes, the vacuum is not a good fit for a pulsed bubbler. Tanks would need to be ventilated for the bubbler to work. Sorry I missed that in your post. I've seen the bubblers used in lots of tanks for marine applications (salt and nasty chemicals), wells, sewage tanks, and even in a liquid asphalt tank application: they are a slick fit for the nasty chemicals.

Yes, the vacuum is not a good fit for a pulsed bubbler. Tanks would need to be ventilated for the bubbler to work. Sorry I missed that in your post. I've seen the bubblers used in lots of tanks for marine applications (salt and nasty chemicals), wells, sewage tanks, and even in a liquid asphalt tank application: they are a slick fit for the nasty chemicals.

The tanks are ventilated, but was more concerned about air supplies etc.. Package heading over seas, so want it to be as un-complicated as possible..