Honeywell IPC-620 - CIM module 621-0043

snimra

Hi, I have some questions on Honeywell CIM (communication Interface module, model 621-0043).

We are using PCDM (PC Data Manager) to monitor our compressor station, which is controlled by Station and ESD PLC (both are using IPC-620 processor). The CIM card is located on the station PLC processor rack and the shutdown is controlled by the ESD PLC. Both PLCs are interconnected and communicate with each other.

Few days ago during a heavy thunderstorm, our station was struck by a lightning and a shutdown triggered. The communication between PCDM and the processor failed. The LED "PASS" was ON, "ACTIVE" was OFF and "FAULT" was OFF.

There is a Stallion multiport interface in between the PCDM and the CIM, connected by a cable RS422. There is no surge supressor installed between the RS422 cable and the CIM module.

Can the lightning travel through the RS422 cable from the stallion multiport interface to the CIM module and then disturb the ESD processor giving the shutdown signal?

The CIM card can be configured for "Output Write Protect" by setting up the dip switch on the board. Our CIM card was set toprotect the "Output Write Protect". What does it really protecting? Can it protect the interference from the lightning?

Lightning

Hello

I don't have CIM, but I have IPC 620 prossesor.
I have learnt more about lightning protection, and this topic needs much informations to make a diagnose.
When a lightning surge enter in a building, its makes more voltage differences that makes some currents loops that in normal situations are not present, and some devices don't support.

I suggest you to study the whole (ground) instalation, and to discover the way of the lightning surge, and review the instalation.
Is better to start from this way. Latter put the correct surge protector.

That is I can talk to you.

Thanks. I appreciate that. At the moment I'm still blur on what actually trigger the shutdown. I'm quite new with this processor and still struggling with the manual.
We have 3 grounding for the panel, I/S grounding, shield and earthing (going to frame). All as per drawing, including the lighning arrestor for every field devices. They installed the surge suppressor during the installation but the size of the suppressor was too big that they couldn't close the door panel. It was blocked by a metal rod of the panel door locking mechanism. The way they resolved the problem was by not to install suppressor :D

At the moment I stick to that theory that the lightning/surge enter the panel via the CIM until I have another theory... :rolleyes:

What does it really protecting? Can it protect the interference from the lightning?

Of course, the write protection do not protect against the lighting surge, only dont enables writing in it.

regards