PLC connection - 2 pt100 per phase

amberman

Just commissioning a machine which has a large motor with two pt100 sensors per phase but only one RTD input has been allowed for each phase in the PLC (AB Compact Logix). Has the designer messed up or is there a way I can connect these? Thanks.

Two RTDs per phase is a common spec. It is also common to only monitor one of the two. The second one is a backup in case of a wiring failure - you can't replace an RTD wound into the stator like you can one installed in a process pipe! Since the intent is usually to detect heat build up from excessive motor starts or an over current both RTDs would generally provide essentially the same temperature reading anyway.

Tom hit the nail right on the head.
You see this alot in large generator windings also.
(you can't just go in and replace the RTD's if one goes bad so the manufacturer will install redundant in case one bites the dust)

Hi,

Yes - agree with all the above. We have also seen this setup used where one set is used by our PLC for local monitoring and the other 'spare' set used by the client's MCC system to give dual protection. As stated above - very common in large motors.

Regards,

Rob

I am with tom, however if you want to use them both, that is possible by putting them parrallel and set the input to Pt50.