Excited

(8{)} ( .)

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've been in this business that I rarely get excited about something new but I just finished a project in 1 hour.

The project was as follows. An existing SLC-5/05 was controlling 13 VSDs with Analog outputs. The customer redid all of the panels and somewhere along the long more than 25% of analog outputs got fried. No analog output module was available in time so I used a WAGO 750-880 using CoDeSys 2.3.9.44 (brand new) with WAGO's Modbus network configurator to connect the 13 drives (all had Modbus TCP) to one of the WAGO ports. I had the SLC-5/05 read and write EIP to the WAGO. The actual drive commissioning took about 10 minutes(!). It was the data mapping to/from the SLC and setting up the VSD's that took the other 50.

Kudos to WAGO on this one...

OK. I'll leave you alone now...

in version 3 it would have been 10 minutes,
and yes codesys is fast developer.
have a look at arduino (same speed to program)

in version 3 it would have been 10 minutes,
and yes codesys is fast developer.
have a look at arduino (same speed to program)

The Modbus was 10 minutes but because I didn't want to monkey with the auto-generated code so I did some stuff with pointers.

I'm familiar with Ardouino but I'm not about to put it in the field. The WAGO is great because it supports EIP and MBTCP and MBUDP native. They've got an FB for Siemens Fetch/Write protocol so you can tailor these gateways very easily.

The Modbus was 10 minutes but because I didn't want to monkey with the auto-generated code so I did some stuff with pointers.

I'm familiar with Ardouino but I'm not about to put it in the field. The WAGO is great because it supports EIP and MBTCP and MBUDP native. They've got an FB for Siemens Fetch/Write protocol so you can tailor these gateways very easily.

I "inherited" a system done with Beckhoff CX1010 SERIES CONTROLLERS ... and I'm doing a cram course on the software in order to do a backup of the system and be in a position to work on the system if there are any issues.

In your opinion, which do you prefer- Beckhoff or Wago? "Archie" has given me a LOT of information on the Beckhoff and he has a lot of very informative stuff here as well as links. I ran across this thread and I'm curious. There is also the Automation Direct line that looks like Beckhoff or Wago...

Byron,
Beckhoff and Wago jointly developed Beckhoff's original K-bus modules (Beckhoff terms "bus terminal"). When Beckhoff developed the much faster EtherCAT (E-bus) modules, they split paths, though Wago still makes the plastic housings for Beckhoff. Wago I/O is essentially K-bus modules. Beckhoff's original TwinCAT (now TwinCAT 2) was a modified CodeSys PLC programming environment, along with Beckhoff's separate System Manager. Wago still uses CodeSys, as do many other German/Austrian PLC's. Beckhoff brought the software all in-house in their latest TwinCAT 3, which is integral with Microsoft Visual Studio.

Wago I/O (and Beckhoff K-bus) are fine for traditional PLC tasks at 10 ms cycle, and sometimes down to 1 ms (depends on modules). For high-speed tasks like position feedback control, Beckhoff's E-bus is much better. It sounds like your PLC manages at the supervisory level (commands setpoints, ...), with high-speed feedback done in the drives, so K-bus is suitably fast.