I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...

Hi I realsie we all have our own experiences but I had a bad experience with Lenovo despite having 3yr warranty with accidental cover. I have gone back to Dell Lattitude and never looked back

And SSD is a must

slouch

Mine's somewhat of a slouch:

Asus G751JT
Intel Core I7-4710HQ Processor (2.5GHz, turbo to 3.5Ghz)
32GB RAM
2 x 1TB SATA (7200rpm) + 8GB Hybrid HDD
17.3-inch anti-glare IPS Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5 8GB VRAM

But it gets me by...

That does not sound like a slouch.

My samsung I7 series 2nd gen was fast enough for me once I swapped in an SSD. Samsung drivers sucked. Never went into turbo, ran hot, and sucked at switching to the faster video card. Spent 2k on it and the video card went out on it two months ago. Only lasted 2 years. So, 1k a year for that shyt. I will never ever buy another Samsung product.

I'm currently running a refurbished think pad T420 that I got off of Tiger Direct to get me buy until I had the funds to get a good one.

But I fell in love w/ the quality, mouses, keyboard, light, sound volume, build quality et al.

Which is why I am so so excited.

I feel like a kid 5 days before Christmas.

Dang it, hating on myself now for not going w/ the express shipping.

dang

dang dang

It still has a limited nr or writes, but you probably won't notice it.

These people asked the same question.

I have 2 SSD's, my OS SSD has had a total of 1.14TB written over a period of +2 years. My games SSD has had a total of 3.8TB written in just under 2 years.

Just.....just don't use the defrag tool.

One thing I read is that the manufacturers include extra memory that it then switches to. So you get a 256gig and it is really a 512gig hence doubling the life of the drive.

I was just recently looking at the Lenovo laptops and trying to figure out if they accept (2) NVMe M.2 drives at PCIe 4x, but had to stop looking before I found the answer. Do you know if your new laptop supports it?

I'm running 2 NVMe drives on my desktop in a RAID configuration and getting boot times of less than 10 seconds. A disk speed test is showing over 2500MB/s for both read and write, which is almost 7x the speed of my SATA SSD in my laptop.

I opted for only 1 PCIe-NVME Opal 2.0. ($90 upgrade)

I clicked to see how much to add another one. (an additional $300). I chose not to do this now. Hoping to do this later when the price drops, and get my Virtual Box game back on.

Not sure if 2 is the limit. I read that the P70 had 4 PCIe slots.

raid

I was just recently looking at the Lenovo laptops and trying to figure out if they accept (2) NVMe M.2 drives at PCIe 4x, but had to stop looking before I found the answer. Do you know if your new laptop supports it?

I'm running 2 NVMe drives on my desktop in a RAID configuration and getting boot times of less than 10 seconds. A disk speed test is showing over 2500MB/s for both read and write, which is almost 7x the speed of my SATA SSD in my laptop.

I didn't opt for Raid 0 or Raid 1 option.

Did I screw up?

disk speed test software

What disk speed test software do you recommend?

I would love to run it when I get my new puter, and run it on my customer's computer for a beer bet. He has a Samsung, grrr.

easishist

Is it a laptop? How easy is it to add another piece?

"Keep adding" ?? Seriously?

Four on the P70 (2" wasn't worth the extra $400 'that's what she said')

I think 2 total on the P50 but I'm not 100% on that.

The fact that you had to ask if it was laptop after reading the specs [insert quote from tv show Home Improvement] makes me happy. yup, this laptop is gonna be so bad arse.

I didn't opt for Raid 0 or Raid 1 option.

Did I screw up?

I have one of these on my network... its 4TB and 4TB RAID, every time I plug into the network I have the files update and backup, I also keep a image on the network, well a few of them make a image when you add major software and you can also backup VM's, it was only about 350.00 for the setup and I have more storage then I will need for awhile

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/linkstation-400-series

I have one of these on my network... its 4TB and 4TB RAID, every time I plug into the network I have the files update and backup, I also keep a image on the network, well a few of them make a image when you add major software and you can also backup VM's, it was only about 350.00 for the setup and I have more storage then I will need for awhile

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/linkstation-400-series

Raid 0 or Raid 1?

When the first one fails, won't it just copy the bad sectors over to the backup?

There is no need for raid 0 with SSDs. You will run out of bandwidth and you double your risk of failure. If you want to go full retard then go raid 10.

Just back up your data and VMs.

In the early days there were plenty of SSDs failing (OCZ!). Not so much now.

And for me the biggest risk to a disk is me dropping my laptop which I have several times with my current laptop over the last 4 years with only cosmetic damage.

What disk speed test software do you recommend?

I would love to run it when I get my new puter, and run it on my customer's computer for a beer bet. He has a Samsung, grrr.
My favorite comes packaged with another software package as a side utility. You can get it for free, but you will also get all the other software along with it. It is the Desktop Video software in this download section:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support

As for RAID, on my desktop I use RAID0 for the speed because it allows me to record dual uncompressed HD video feeds, which requires massive bandwidth. That drive setup is only for my OS disk and temporary data storage. I do not recommend RAID0 for critical storage if you do not backup daily. In fact my first motherboard decided to delete the RAID configuration 3 times which made all of the data inaccessible and required a complete OS re-install. Needless to say I went with another motherboard.

RAID1 is expensive and I never had a need for it with SSDs because I have yet to have a failure and I do regular backups. Of course there will one day be a first time for everything, so I keep my self covered with backups.

That does not sound like a slouch.

Thanks!, I get the "Nice laptop" pretty often. :)

It was the best that Electronics Express had that day, and I was heading out of town and I had had enough of the company provided laptop. So...

I saw Archie's post about the NVMe M.2 drive, and my laptop has the connector for it but no adapter. So I'm thinking of getting a drive and then printing up the mounting hardware for it. Should work...

But I fell in love w/ the quality, mouses, keyboard, light, sound volume, build quality et al.

Which is why I am so so excited.

I feel like a kid 5 days before Christmas.

Dang it, hating on myself now for not going w/ the express shipping.

dang

dang dang

I know how you feel, I have a couple of Amiga 2000's coming. I got them off of eBay for a song since they were local pickup only. My son lives in the same city, so he picked them up for me and should be shipping them out to me today. I'm doing a job in Mississippi, so I won't see them for a week or so. Can't wait to see my new toys. :)

I also have a beeb (a Acorn BBC Micro Model B) coming in from across the pond as well as a MSX power adapter from Japan.

Amiga2ks.png

On the flip side, remember the good old days.
When compiling a program meant a cigarette break?

I went to leveno selected canada and a p50 with a 1tb ssd pci was 2400 canadian. 1000 off. Not bad. Just waiting for year end on my business and then I'm. Buying a new laptop. My current dell has been decent. But freezes and lags now. Lol

My biggest thing for a laptop is I want ssd. And 500gb isn't big enough