Logix500 V6.20.00 bug

JohnW

I have just upgraded to Logix500 V6.2 and I have found a bug (I think). If I move a rung by drag-and-drop within a ladder file and then hit the undo button, instead of moving the rung back it copies it back. So I end up with 2 rungs the same but in different places. I hove told Rockwell but I am waiting for a reply. Anyone else with V6.2 seen this?

Maybe RSLogix500 handles drag-and-drop as Copy+Paste followed by a Delete of the original rung.

Previous versions of RSLogix500 shows the same behaviour.

If you "undo" two times:
1st undo: The original rung appears in its original place.
2nd undo: The "extra rung" is deleted.

Jesper,

Thanks, you are right, I don't know why I didn't notice this in previous versions, I have been using Logix500 for about 6 years now!

This is the reply from Rockwell;

"I have reproduced the problem and reported it to our software developers for repair in a future release.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Best Regards,"

Try doing it with a large chunk of ladder and then work out why your program doesn't run!

Then you tap the undo button again and its not a problem. But the tech note failed to mention to just hit undo again. Least thats what a previous post said. I dont have the ambition to give it a whirl myself. But if it is true it would of been nice to put in the technote.

I am nit-picking here a bit but it doesn't do what you would expect it to do, and that can lead to errors, you could forget to hit the undo button twice or hit it 3 times and not notice. My gripe is with Rockwell, you shouldn't have to refer to tech notes for something as simple as ladder editing. When I design a user interface I try and avoid unexpected actions. Just simple things like the buttons that do the same thing are in the same place on each screen. A button does what it says it does and not something else. I just expected an 'undo' button to do actually 'undo' the last thing I did. A nice addition would be a drop-down list of actions to undo like in the MS office applications.

simple???

I am nit-picking here a bit but it doesn't do what you would expect it to do, and that can lead to errors, you could forget to hit the undo button twice or hit it 3 times and not notice. My gripe is with Rockwell, you shouldn't have to refer to tech notes for something as simple as ladder editing.

No offence JohnW but you are nit-picking.
Ladder editor design is anything but simple. Designing a PLC operating system is somewhat of a challenge, but if you are not going to implement advanced features you could code a PLC into an embedded system. You provide opcodes for each logical operation. The opcodes would then represent an offset to a routine that implements required logic. This has been discussed in this forum. Unfortunatelly I am unable to find the right thread, don't know the right way to search
for it.

However the design of a ladder editor is a substantially more difficult undertaking. This too has been discussed in this forum.

I can't believe that you are comparing a design of an interface screen
(HMI) to a design of a ladder editor!???

Allen Bradley has done a superb job of providing highly productive
ladder development environment.
Is it 100% perfect and bug free? Ofcourse not and neither is any other piece of complex software. Is this a really bad bug that should be fixed ASAP?
I don't think so.