Soft PLC vs Hard PLC

Guys can any one help me regarding this,
i want to evaluate the difference between soft plc vs hard plc, can any one say what kind of applications can do this exactly

thank you

Guys can any one help me regarding this,
i want to evaluate the difference between soft plc vs hard plc, can any one say what kind of applications can do this exactly

thank you

A sharp knife will cut the soft plc, the hard one will need a grinding disc to break through the hard outer layer. As for evaluation, and as to what type of application you would need to evaluate said differences, well I will leave that to our more educated friends on this forum. Best of luck.

It's true that the soft ones can be more pleasing to the eye and generally quieter at speed. I prefer the term "sueded".

The hard ones are generally easier to clean when you spill a beer on them.

Hopefully you have guessed from the cheeky comments that we aren't going to do your homework for you because someday you will be our coworker and we expect you to be competent.

When you get into programming assignments then make an attempt to do some work of your own first and then if you get stuck come and show us what you have done so far and we'll be happy to tutor you, but you have to show some effort first.

this is not about how to program different types but, its my project work i have gone through a lot of journal papers and lot of websites, what ever the case study i approach my proffesor is saying wrong, thats the reason why i came here asking, i dont need any code or any work done. i just need an example( a clue ) to start like which application can be used to evaluate soft plc vs hard PLC,

Please provide some links or summaries of the websites and case studies you have already researched but your professor has rejected.

HNC students have developed a handful of pleading techniques to make it appear that they are very interested and working very hard, but "showing your work" has not yet appeared in the HNC student toolbox.

Be the first, Nithin ! Break the trend !

Hey people, it's really just getting to be the shape of the box.

For example, any CoDeSys PLC is essentially a soft PLC. It might be running in an industrial looking box but they're running on a standard operating systems.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

(And I'm a HUGE CoDeSys fan.)

Hey people, it's really just getting to be the shape of the box.

For example, any CoDeSys PLC is essentially a soft PLC. It might be running in an industrial looking box but they're running on a standard operating systems.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

(And I'm a HUGE CoDeSys fan.)

My definition of a soft PLC would be a PLC operating system that can run on a piece of hardware along with other software and a hard PLC is a piece of hardware that can only run a PLC operating system.

CodeSys can be either depending on the hardware platform it is running on.

On edit. Deciding when to use a Soft PLC vs a hard PLC for me comes down to the following.

#1. Mission criticality. If it HAS to run then it HAS to be a hard PLC.
#2. HMI dependancy. If the process is completely HMI dependent but not mission critical then a soft PLC might make sense as a system reboot for an HMI problem would not effect the process.

Last edited: