.xc file

this is just a guess – but I've got a hunch that you're running into the message highlighted in the figure below ...

have you tried just typing in a "new" file name and then letting RSNetWorx "browse" the network online? ... (for example: I typed in "Lab_Test" without the quotes in the figure shown) ...

basic ideas:

(A) if you're working "offline" (specifically, WITHOUT access to the field hardware) then the RSNetWorx software needs to see the original .xc file in order to show you the network configuration ... (you might try doing a Windows search to find any existing .XC files on your computer) ...

but ...

(B) if you're trying to work "online" (specifically, WITH access to the field hardware) then RSNetWorx software needs to have a name specified for a file (.xc type) in order to show you the network configuration ... (hint: you might think of the file as something like a "scratchpad" which RSNetWorx uses to store its data for the network's details) ...

another basic idea:

if the ControlNet network is already up and running, then the configuration data for that network is already stored in one of the network's devices (example: a 1756-CNB module) ... this device is called the network "keeper" – since it "keeps" the configuration in its internal memory ...

what I THINK that you're trying to do is to access (and view) the network configuration ... in most simple cases this configuration can be retrieved using the ControlNet version of RSNetworx software – but the software needs to have a "scratchpad" file (.xc) available before it can do its magical upload operation from the network keeper ... Tip: the .xc file doesn't necessarily have to be the same as the original .xc file ... specifically, RSNetworx can usually generate – and populate – a brand new .xc file for you – but you just have to provide a name for the file ...

so ...

if my GUESSES are correct, just type in a filename – and see if you can get the software to browse the network ...

if this doesn't help – try giving us more details about what you're trying to accomplish ... posting some screen shots might be helpful ...

xc_file_needed.png

Last edited:
What your attached image is exactly what I am trying to do. Say for instance you download a program to the controller. For instance an update or if the program is lost, an older version of the program. The modules all have exclamation points in yellow, which indicates to me the network needs to be scheduled/EDS files downloaded. On the program at top by key position, forces, etc., 'I/O not responding' is flashing. So, going to RXNetworx as you have in your attached image, I want to try to schedule the network (on the card neither A or B is solid green). So I click the radio button 'schedule the controlnet network'. It of course asks me for the .xc file. Hope this helps??

Last edited: