Profinet Advice for new project

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
I am looking at a project which will have a "main panel" with a S7-1500 master PLC and 2-3 drives and HMI on Profinet, locally.

Extra to this is approx. 50 distributed nodes which need 16DI 16DO and 1AQ each

The area is around 1500 Metres long

I was thinking of running a fibre optic ring to 3 managed switches and then dropping down to each node with profinet 'Cat5' style cables so basically I have 3 distribution points where there are clusters of remote IO

SCALANCE X304 for the switches
ET200sp for the remote IO racks (6ES71556AU000BN0)

I have not done a fibre profinet system before and my distributor seems inexperienced

Any tips or recommendations?

Disclaimer: I have no actual experience with a Profinet Ring.
I was thinking of running a fibre optic ring to 3 managed switches and then dropping down to each node with profinet 'Cat5' style cables so basically I have 3 distribution points where there are clusters of remote IO
That is how I would do it also.

A Profinet Ring uses "Media Redundancy Protocol" (MRP).
Read chapter 4.11.2:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/19292127