Wht's a Virtual Machine

besc

Lifetime Supporting Member
Like I've stated, been out ot this for a long time so be patient. A couple of people responded to my last thread saying they use a virtual machine for there programming enviornment when programming in Allen Bradley. I plead ignorance. Are they simulators, emulators etc. I need educated on this. Sorry. Mike.

besc,

a virtual machine (VM) is basically a pc running inside another pc.

for example, my host machine is a dell with windows 7 sp1 64 bit with 8Gb of ram.

at the same time i run several windows xp sp3 vm's - ab plc programming, autocad, and wonderware.

regards,
james

A Virtual Machine is an Operating System running on virtual hardware. Basically it allows you to run more than one operating system on 1 set of hardware at the same time. There are A LOT of different methods to achieve this that get VERY details and technical, but that is the basics and all you need to know for what you are trying to do.