RSLogix Version Clarification

lam2363

Hello All,

I am new to the RSLogix 5000 software. I have a 1769-L24ER-QBFC1B I am trying to connect to it with RSLogix 5000 version 19.01. I have been trying to find out if this is a new enough version to program this controller but have been unsuccessful. I have used BootP and given it an IP address and can see it in RSLinx. Can some one please clarify one way or the other or am I missing something completely?

Welcome to the Forum !

That particular controller is a member of the newest "5370 Series" of CompactLogix controllers, which were introduced with v20 firmware and also support v21 and v23.

RSLogix 5000 software always requires a major revision match; you need v19 to program v19 controllers, v20 to program v20 controllers, and so on.

You can install multiple versions on the same PC (subject to OS compatibility) and you are eligible (usually) to download any of the versions from the current release back to v10. Firmware earlier than v10 need to be requested direct from RA.

So the sort answer is that you need v20, v21, or v23 of the RSLogix 5000 (renamed Studio 5000 in v21) to work with that controller.

So the sort answer is that you need v20, v21, or v23 of the RSLogix 5000 (renamed Studio 5000 in v21) to work with that controller.

Hey Ken, I know that version 23 is just version 21.03 repackaged as a major revision but is it actually released as version 23 yet? I don't see that available on the RA website.

Be careful with this too.
v21 comes in 2 flavours.
v21.00 is the base level
v21.03 comes with security alterations, and you cannot downgrade, or talk to v21

You're looking at a coincidence of numbering.

Version 23 is not "20.03".

As I understand it, RA chose to skip Version 22 in the numbering sequence and go to Version 23 as the next Major Revision. If anyone was recently at RSTechED and can verify from the "What's New in Logix 5000" seminar, I'd appreciate it.

From talking to the Rockwell guys at the Rockwell On The Move conference a couple weeks ago, vs 23 IS actually just a repackage of 21.03 in order to fix the issue with 21.03 not being compatible with 21.01-02. Version 24 will be the next "regular" update of Studio 5000. At least that's what they were telling me...of course it could be wrong.

To my knowledge, Studio 5000 Logix Designer Version 23 has not been released. It happens to show as a compatible firmware version in the RA firmware grid for the 1769-L24 controller, which is why I listed it.

I was curious as to whether 23 had released yet because I have a new machine that I want to be the latest version 21, but still need 21.01 on my machine. So if they had released 23, that would have solved my problem :)

EDIT: Ken edited while I was posting :) The link he shared matches what the Rockwell guys were telling me.

Last edited:
Yup, I was completely and totally wrong, and thought I could ninja-edit my way out of embarassment.

I learned something new and very useful today about the upcoming RSLogix 5000 releases.

I learned something new and very useful today about the upcoming RSLogix 5000 releases.

I read all the blogs linked, all the replies on this post, and frankly I'm just totally confused.

V21 is barely into it's second year, and now we are talking about V24 ???

Seems to me they are releasing software for beta-testing, or am I being too cynical...?

I read all the blogs linked, all the replies on this post, and frankly I'm just totally confused.

V21 is barely into it's second year, and now we are talking about V24 ???

Seems to me they are releasing software for beta-testing, or am I being too cynical...?

It is a big confusing :) What they told me was that since there was all the confusion (and inconvenience) involved in having minor releases that are not compatible they are going to release 21.03 as a major release so that it can co-exist with 21.01-02. But since vs 22 was already in development they didn't want to call it 22, so they are calling it 23...and since they can't have a lowered number release have more features than a higher numbered release they are skipping 22 and going right to 24 with the new feature release.

So we're really only getting one "new" release, which will be 24, and one re-named release. Clear as mud? I thought so :confused: