Simulate An SLC Rack For Testing

chrome4ever

I am new here to the forum and maybe this has been answered already.
I am working on an AB SLC 5/05 program for a remote site. I need to be able to test the application before taking it to the site but I do not have all the I/O required to build a test rack. I only have a processor, power supply, & backplane. Do any of you know a good way I can simulate the rack I need in order for me to do my testing? Or at least a way I can simulate the I/O in my empty test rack without re-addressing all of the I/O?

not sure if this is what you're asking for - but you can put "dummy" (non-existent) modules into your I/O Configuration table to create addresses for them ...

but ...

the SLC processor will give "slot empty" error messages and go into a Fault condition ... in other words, it won't run unless the modules are actually there ...

so ...

use this trick to "fool" the processor ... go to the IO tab under Processor Status ... for each "missing" module, change the 1 to a 0 on the "I/O Slot Enables" field ... the processor should be able to run ...

incidentally, we've never found a way to fool the processor into accepting the "wrong" size rack ...

is that what you're looking for? ...

Last edited:
That sounds like it would work. I'm not familiar with the "dummy" modules. Do they show up in the available I/O list?

Do any of you know a good way I can simulate the rack I need in order for me to do my testing?
You could use the RSEmulate program to simulate a virtual SLC, in order to test-run your program.

That sounds like it would work. I'm not familiar with the "dummy" modules. Do they show up in the available I/O list?

I believe it is S:11 and S:12 working from memory. If you browse the status file in structured view, you should be able to find them pretty easily. Just be sure to turn the bits back on when you are done testing. Otherwise those slots will be ignored and your process will have "unexpected behavior" ... probably unexpected silence.... When you are done testing, then go offline and turn the bits back on and download again, the SLC will fault with those modules missing. But, once tested, that should be okay, and when powered up with the configured I/O, it will not fault.

As for substituting different modules, there are generic entries for configuration, like "1746-O*16" will accept any 16 point output module regardless of voltage or type of outputs. If you have enough matching point numbers, you could go that route, although it will allow the installation of the wrong modules in the future. This is usually more of a convenience than a problem. Maybe you are out of DC output cards, but have a relay card that will get the machine running in a pinch...if the CPU is configured for O*16, you can slap it in and run without having to edit and download a new file.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the answers. Looks like switching off the bits for the individual I/O slots is the best way... Just have to make sure and have the proper rack size selected based on my test hardware.

I was going to try the Emulate program but there are no RSLinx drivers for it on Win7 Pro 64bit. He said the Emulate program is in Silver Series and there will be no more updates/upgrades for the Emulate program.