1756-HSC Encoder x4 max frequency?

Paul351W

I've read through the user manual for the HSC card, and it mentions a max of 250kHz in all Encoder modes (x1, x2, x4) but the manual does not specifically say if that frequency limit is the raw pulse train of one phase (A or B) or if that applies to both pulse trains?

I have used the HSC module before on a 120 tooth speed wheel on a shaft that only saw ~2000rpm so there were no concerns about exceeding the frequency limit. My current application has a 768PPR encoder on it, and will potentially spin up to 5000+rpm (64kHz) so I am worried using X4 mode could potentially put me up to 256kHz, which is out of the card's range.

Also, on my previous setup I used one channel of the card in Encoder X4 mode, and the other in Frequency rate mode to measure frequency because the Frequency mode doesn't give direction, and I discovered the reported directional frequency from the X4 mode updated slower than the Frequency mode data. Anyone else run into this issue?