Interfacing Redlion and SLC 5/04

abishur

I have a client who wants to upgrade *most* of their facility to Ethernet, the rest they want to keep using the vendor supplied Allen Bradley SLC 5/04, but they want to interface with those PLCs as well on a new system.

To handle this I'm using the Redlion Datastation Plus. In most the scenarios I can put the Redlion next to the SLC 5/04, and communicate with its D9 serial port. At one location they are communicating with a panelview over the DH+ port and with some remote I/O over the D9 serial port (which interestingly enough plugs into a RS232 to RS485 converter to do the actual communication, it's a bit of a roundabout setup at this one PLC)

Is there anyway for the redlion to communicate with this PLC?

I don't think RS232 can be directly daisy chained so it's not like I can plug the Remote IO and the redlion into the same D9 serial port.

I don't think the DH+ top port on the SLC 5/04 can be reprogrammed to use plain Data Highway.

I *think* you can only use one of the serial ports on the SLC 5/04 at a time, but I haven't used the 5/04 too much so I was hoping to get more experienced input on that note. So I can't use middle port at the same time as the bottom D9 serial port.

If the D9 serial port was actually communicating using DH485, could I splice the wires going to the redlion and the wires going to the remote I/O together in a daisy chain to keep it communicating?

If there is just no option to directly interface with this SLC 5/04, what do you think would be the more direct and inexpensive option to get communicating with the PLC? A DH+ to Ethernet converter, a DH+ to serial converter?